SAP for Public Sector Discussions
Foster conversations about citizen engagement, resource optimization, and service delivery improvements in the public sector using SAP.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FMDerive Transport

former_member862468
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a requirement to change an existing rule in FMDerive. I want to know the best approach for the rule to be transported. I have tested by forcing the transport and it asked me if i want to include values and i do not want values to be transported and hence no but i want to understand the best approach to transport the rules either doing it in production directly or go via transport methods. Also, is there a way to transport only the specific rule instead of all the rules in FMDerive.

Thanks

Shriya

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

iklovski
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

The best approach would be creating and transporting only the rules, without values. It's not possible, without manual intervention in the change request's contenet, to transport only a specific rule. That's why, if you choose the strategy of transporting your rules, it's essential that every new rule will be defined in the development system and not directly in Production. However, it's certainly possible to define new rules directly in Production and thus do not transport anything at all.

Regards,

Eli

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

iklovski
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

The best approach would be creating and transporting only the rules, without values. It's not possible, without manual intervention in the change request's contenet, to transport only a specific rule. That's why, if you choose the strategy of transporting your rules, it's essential that every new rule will be defined in the development system and not directly in Production. However, it's certainly possible to define new rules directly in Production and thus do not transport anything at all.

Regards,

Eli

0 Kudos

Shriya,

Eli is right that you can potentially transport a single rule or even maintain the rules in production. This is however, not the best practice. It is useful to think of each derivation strategy as a program that is being called once and executed fully until it produces a result. In such cases it is necessary to test the entire program whenever any step is changed. There are many instances where a change to a step will affect many other steps. In addition the strategy is executed in order from the top rule to the bottom rule. Many times the errors are caused by incorrect order of rules. To be safe therefore you must create the rules in the correct point in the strategy, test it as an integrated set of steps and transport it as a whole.

Thanks

Shyam

former_member862468
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Eli/Shyamal,

It makes sense to what you guys told...I have tested the scenarios in Dev and it is working fine.