cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backward compatibility of Duet Enterprise 2.0 with 1.0 FP1

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have the current production code written in Duet Enterprise 1.0 FP1 and are going to 2.0.  When we upgrade the Duet servers to 2.0, will the 1.0 FP1 still work ok and can we still make changes to it if needed?  In other words, can we run and makes changes to both Duet 2.0 and 1.0 FP1 code in a system upgraded to 2.0?

Thanks,

Andy Goerdel

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andy,

If you have upgraded your systems to Duet 2.0 , that means you will have to integrate with Sharepoint 2013 for odata developments.

If you have only performed system upgrade to 2.0 as in installed duet 2.0 components on your backend/ gateway , your 1,0 developments still remain intact.

So you can make changes to both 2.0 and 1.0 developments, but you need to make sure of gateway to sp connectivity. Also , you can use soap bridge to convert your odata services to soap services if you plan to use sharepoint 2010 .

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Meghna, that is helpful.

To further clarify, this is a critical Duet application for Finance, so we need to be able to do failback recovery in case the Duet 2.0 to SharePoint 2013 solution has serious issues.  Thus we need to be able to still run the 1.0 FP1 to SharePoint 2010 application on the server that will be upgraded to Duet 2.0.

In other words,can a Duet 1.0 FP1 application on a 1.0 FP1 server that is upgraded to a Duet 2.0 server still work with its original SharePoint 2010 application, while simultaneously (or being able to switch between 1.0 FP1 or 2.0) the new 2.0 application works with SharePoint 2013 as found below:

1.0 FP1 Code on a Duet 2.0 server <--> SharePoint 2010 and/or

2.0 Code on 2.0 server <--> SharePoint 2013

This would be without restoring or changing any Duet code, but keeping SharePoint both 2010 and 2013 servers with their respective code available for usage.

Thanks,

Andy

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Andy,

I would like to know,

1. how did you develop your code in Duet 1.0 FP1. Was it through BDC browser and gateway data model?
  2. If your solution is currently active in Duet 1.0 FP1, how do you plan to upgrade it fro Duet 2.0? (via soap bridge?)

You need to keep in mind we cannot connect gateway to 2 sharepoints consumers(in your case 2010 & 2013).In this case if you plan to upgrade to Duet 2.0 , you will have to replace all connectivity settings of gateway to sharepoint 2010 with gateway to sharepoint 2013. Also you are aware we use X.509 in Duet Enterprise 2.0.

in short, you wont have to make "code changes" in your development.But you will have to make configuration changes.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Meghna,

Here are my answers:

1.  I don't know the official term for how we created/wrote our code, but we used RFCs on the SAP backend and manually coded the mapping using:

• Adapter, query, read, and update classes
  • SIMGH for GSDO
    Types & GSDO Contexts & GSI Implementations
  • BOP
  • Flat service generator

2. We were hoping the current code would work post-2.0 upgrade without any changes if possible - we do not want to put any time into that if possible - it would be our backup/recovery solution in case the 2.0 version does not work correctly

RE: Your last paragraph

• It sounds like a Duet server can only be connected to one SharePoint server version - either 2010 or 2013
  • We are aware of the X.509 requirement for Duet 2.0

Thanks for the help!

Sincerely,

Andy Goerdel

linda_peruzzi
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Andy,

Just adding to discussion as per past email just in case anyone else has insights.   Does this answer your question as far as your current development compatibility with DE 2.0?  if not, let me know specifically what you are stuck on.   I concur with Meghna. On the SAP side, it is not the coding that will need to change but some extra config is required for the SOAP.

1. If any of your scenarios are using SOAP, then they are still supported with DE 2.0. You will
    need to follow the DE 2.0 guides for configuration but also set up SAML2 in
    your DE 2.0 environment which will not be included in the DE 2.0 Installation
    guide.   You will need to refer back to FP1 guide on setting up
    SAML2.  My understanding is SharePoint 2013 can still use the BDC models
    you generated in the original landscape as long as the endpoints don’t change but I'm not 100% on this.
  2. If you are using OData, then you do not have to change anything on the SAP side.  You need to follow the DE 2.0 Configuration guide and don’t need to do additional config.   The only thing I am not sure of is if you need to change anything on the SharePoint side as far as consuming the OData model or would you just use the same BDC models as previously. FYI, our development has created a guide on consuming OData services in SharePoint 2013.  Here is the link.   

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/b02b567b-0f7c-3010-e598-f4a90c82b...

Cheers,

...Linda

Answers (0)