cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ChaRM handling external transports

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

i have read a lot, how ChaRM handles external transport, like 3rd party developments. So far I understood, I have to include the transport to the DEV system, import it and then include all the objects to my transportrequest which belongs to a change document. I am fine with it.

Now the Question: I have costumers they have 3rd party external transports and they do not want to change the external transport or copy the object to another one, for example they will loose the warranty. But they still want to document and transport it with ChaRM.

What should I do?

Regards,

Christian

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

You can use "General Change"  change document in Solman 7.1 for those which you are not connected or transportable via CTS+

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_sm71_sp01/helpdata/en/19/57830da5014137bba2f87e41aabd65/frameset.htm

Demo

https://websmp102.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700000478282011E.zip

its more like the process you want to configure so you can create a copy of general changes with approval workflow as per requirement etc.....this will allow you to document all the changes for 3rd party systems as well.

hope it clarifies

Regards

Prakhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prakhar,

what's the difference between an admin and a general change?

So I have to change the project settings, transport everything manually and document it in the general change document? But this is kind of tricky. If you implementing ChaRM you intend to not have such a manual step.

Is it possible to include the external transport to a normal or urgent change and transport it through the landscape via the ChaRM functionality?

Regards,

Christian

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Chris

Its seems you got a bit confused.

We can transport all the changes supported by CTS (ABAP) and non ABAP (CTS+) using ChaRM Urgent and Normal Change

I asked you to use General Change because it is supposed to be used incase of non SAP changes like New Printer is required....so its a change and you don't have TR for that....similarly if there is a 3rd party change you can use that

Admin change is used incase of master data changes or where you have to make some config etc change but there is no TR attached to it

check pg 12

www.service.sap.com/~sapidb/011000358700000931932011E

I hope its clear now

Regards

Prakhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prakhar,

maybe I didn't make myself clear. With 3rd Party changes i mean Transportrequest from another System, that original System is not the Dev System. Like you want to delvelop an Add-On from another company and want to import it to your own System landscape.

Do you know what i mean?

Regads Christian

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

If i understood you correctly you are talking about migration???

anyway you can check if that TR is supported by CTS+ if not then you have to use General Change

Regards

Prakhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Christian - good Q. if i understand you want to use CHARM to be able to migrate the 3rd party transport (using CHARM) and still be able to retain the original 3rd party transport number.

i have configured and used both 7.0, 7.1 - CHARM but i don't think CHARM provides such an option.

Options available so far (already discussed in the thread):

1) Repackage the 3rd party transport into a devtransport. This will allow you to automate the migration of the change from Dev -> TE/QA -> PRD but you will lose the original 3rd party transport number.

2) Use General Change or Admin Message for documentation where the of migration of transport is manual.

Folks has anyone come up with the solution where we can can retain the 3rd party transport number still be able to automate (use CHARM) migration functionality ?

thanks,

sid

raquel_pereiradacunha
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You will not be able to do it because the Transport is released and then the cts project attribute related to the charm project will not be assigned.

Regards,

Raquel

Answers (0)