cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kernel upgrade from 700 to 720 in sap

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

I am trying to apply kernel in prod box where I have DB+CI and one more CI got installed. current system is aix and oracle 11g I am trying to upgrade the kernel before Oracle11g upgrade it throws diff error. Mostly I am getting errir with dboraslib.o files and all the .o files. some time I got the error from libic files

My oracle database is up and running if I replaced kernel where as the SAP R3 is not starting thro script. The same kernel I succefully uploaded for other dev and QA Boxes here.

Last step also I did after the upgrade ./saproot.sh <sid> and did sapcpe pf=...... command also. trans.log says some ora error some time and R3trans -d says library files mismatch with 700.08 and 720.. I am confused here..

Still my kernel is not succeed and not working. Could you please suggest on this?

Thanks,

Sankar G

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sankar,

It seems that you haven't upgraded the kernel properly. Please follow the below steps.

1. Stop all the SAP  & DB related services.

2. Check using ps -ef  | grep orasid and sidadm and see no DB or SAP services are running.

3. Extract the kernel  as well as please download the lib_dbsl from the service.sap.com/swdc

4.Uncar all these files in a folder.

5.Take a backup of your working kernel from the following location

/usr/sap/SID/DV*/exe

/sapmnt/SID/exe

6. Manually overwrite the uncared kernels in the above two locations.

7. Start the DB and SAP .

8. It should come up..

PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT YOU ALSO DOWNLOADED LIB_DBSL Files and updated it in the kernel.

If you are still facing the issue, please attach the error screenshot.

Thanks and Regards,

Vimal

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Good Day

What you need to do is to read this SAP note:

Note 1636252 - Installing a 7.20 kernel in SAP Web AS 7.00/7.01/7.10/7.11

It clearly says that you need to delete all local executable and put the new kernel in the /sapmnt/SID/exe directory and shoot sapcpe against the instance profile.

Cheers

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks Reagan and I was able to upgrade kernel 720 successfully but App server is not starting up and its kernel got changed ino 720 version when I called disp+work. do I need to do app server also for kernel replacement??? Since it is prod  box  please help me

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sankar,

Your application server patch should also be same like in  your CI box.

Please update your kernel patch in Apps that equals to CI kernel and check..

Apps should start up after kernel patching.

If still not getting updated, please attach the dev_w0 log for more anlaysis.

Thanks and Regards,

Vimal

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello

do I need to do app server also for kernel replacement???

Yes.

Cheers

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Reagan for your reply. I did the same the kernel got updated successfully and it is working fine.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi sankar,

Please check below link......

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3257380

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Can you explain the procedure you used to upgrade your kernel?...

library files mismatch with 700.08 and 720.

It seems to me that SAPCPE has not distributed the kernel correctly.

Regards, Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Former Member
0 Kudos

The systems are in cluster and DB+CI on one box and other CI is diff box. Cluster files are running and mounted with local name and when ever cluster start or stop it will move. The oracle db is running at DB+CI box.

I took the backup of kernel and copied kernel to exe/run folder whichever needs to modify it got modified. before that i stopped saposcol also.

then I ran ./saproot.sh in root prompt. the I did sapce command for Centeral Instance and Start profile for SCS00 and ASCS00 and DI also.

Kernel thrown error dboralib.so and R3trans -x also not worked. thrown error like dwc_xt some file is nor reading lile that.

Plesae suggest and provide procedure .. The same kernel is working with DEV and QA well

that is strange !! also tell me how to use sapcpe and what are the profiles to be done and syntax please.

Thanks,

Sankar G

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Please confirm whether you have upgraded the kernel in

/usr/sap/SID/ASCS***/exe

If not, upgrade there also...

You can use sapcpe  using the following command

sapcpe pf=/usr/sap/SID/SYS/profile/ instance profile

Thanks and Regards,

Vimal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Former Member
0 Kudos

Maria thanks for ur reply. I tried again now startdb is working and R3trans-x also fine. But Kernel level is not changing and still it is showing saposcol details while starting sap. I got the below details from trans.log  disp+work is not working

error : ORA-27101 :sharedmemory realm does not exist

but databse is up and runniong.. pls help

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please check the below link and see whether it helps.

http://scn.sap.com/thread/960088

Please check whether listener is up and running.

Thanks and Regards,

Vimal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Vimalan listner, SAP and database are up and running. Disp+work is only giving problem and still tp -v poiting to old kernel here why I dont know . Please find the below error

dw_gui.o ,dw_xml and dw_xt.o files are giving problem here to show disp+work .. any clue???

Former Member
0 Kudos

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sankar,

I dont have any idea.. But I think if you update with the following files, your issue might be fixed.

1.dw_421-10007272.sar

2.dw_utils_417-10007272.sar

You can see it under kernel Database independent.

Download it and extract it to the exes folders and check please.

Sometimes, it could also be a bug in your present kernel you have downloaded and used.

I feel it is worth to give a try in this way

Thanks and Regards,

Vimal

Ranjith418
Contributor
0 Kudos
former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sankar,

You need to rename .o files using command mv <old filename> <back upfile name>

Post this kernel upgrade will work fine.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

but we need .o files right? I deleted and copied that dboraslib.o file and tried no luck. what to be done exactly to come across ? I noticed after 720 kernel  upgrade some of the system saposcol is not there. I dont know why ? please suggest.