cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NW 7.0 Java Portal (BI Usage) compatible with BW 7.01 ABAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

Recently we did a EHPI of our ABAP BW system from 7,0 ABAP- 7.01 BW ABAP System.

However for the Portal Java we have kept at NW 7.0 SP25 According to SAP Note 1163789 - NetWeaver 7.0: BI Java Synchronized Patch Delivery Strategy

The note says

"

SAP recommends to have the ABAP and Java parts of the server on the same  Support Package Stack level. For BI, however, the tight dependency  between ABAP and Java Support Package Stacks, which had to be updated in  parallel, no longer exists. The BI-specific Patches can be applied  compatibly to a different Support Package Stack. Note that this is not  true for upgrades (like for instance from Netweaver 7.0 to 7.1), it only  applies within the same release and enhancement package level. "

However when I run a  SAP Diagnostic support desk tool according to SAP Note 937697" , it says not compatible.

My Question is , is it compatible to have a BI 7.0 Java SP25 and BW ABAP on 701 SP10?, According to Synchronized Patch delivery , it says compatible.

Your thoughts on the same please.

Kind Regards,

Jacob

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

I have raised a message from SAP and what I understand is when you are in a consulting project

, it may be technically possible to have different ABAP and JAVA Versions , But the best is to have JAVA and ABAP BI at the same level .

Kind Regards,

Jacob

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are facing problem .

We are planning to migrate BW 3.5 queries to version NW 7.0.At the same time, we are looking to use the BI-Java NW7.01 SP6 components that are installed on our EP system (EP7.02 sp 12 ). Is this possible ordo we need to update BW ABAP to same version and patch level as BI-JAVA?Please let me know if any further information is required.

Thanks,

Bhanu

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think you have answered your own question:

"Note that this is not  true for upgrades (like for instance from Netweaver 7.0 to 7.1), it only  applies within the same release and enhancement package level."

You do not have the same enhancement package level on AS JAVA and AS ABAP.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Samuli,

Thats very tricky indeed. They specifically say you cannot have different support package level for upgrades .

Hence folwoing  combination  not possible

Java                                        ABAP

NW 7.0 SPXX                         NW 7.3 SPYY    (NOT POSSIBLE)

Following Possible(Same Reease)

Java                                          ABAP

NW 7.0 SPXX                           NW 7.0 SPYY

Following Possible??(Enhancement Package level)

Java                                            ABAP

NW 7.0 SPXX                             NW 7.01 SPYY

It is very clear about upgrades.

If it is not true about enhancement package level , all they have to say is that It is true only for same releases and doesnt mention anything about EHPS.

Kind Regards,

Jacob

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think the note is quite clear on that, the latter is not supported either. Even if you are on the same release (or same EHP), the SP requirement holds, meaning you have to have a recent enough SP on both stacks in order to apply patches asynchronously.