cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Netweaver 7.0 - change server Hardware ( faster )

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all Expert,

I have a SAP Netweaver 7.0 SR3 (BI) abap and java instance ( separated instance on the same server ) and also a gateway service instance installed on a windows server 2003 R2 X64 and sql 2005 - sap domain installation.

I have to do an Hardware change , only hardware change,  without change any  parameter such as Hostname, SAP <SIDs> , disk configuration, sql version,  and any other configuration must remain the same.

I think to do the activity as described here ( macro step ) :

source server : is the original server

destination server : is the new server ( new hardware , faster )

. stop all activity and SAP instance ( abap e java ) on the source server

. backup sql of abap and java database of source server

. backup of the \USR\SAP\  directory of source server

. backup of non SAP directory of source server

. copy all backup of the source server on the destination server

. remove from the windows domain active directory the source server

. SHUTDOWN the source server

. Change the Hostname of the destination server with the same hostname and ip address configuration of the source server

. promote the destination server in the windows domain active directory ( so like was the source server !)

. SAP installation of the ABAP and the JAVA instance and the gateway service instance on the destination server mantaining the same parameter of the source server ( hostname, <SID> , SQL version , system number, disk configuration.. and so on...all remain the same )

. Restore of the database ABAP and the database JAVA previously copied from the source server in the same directory (unit letter and name) of the source server.

. overwrite of the \USR\SAP\<SID-ABAP>\  and the \USR\SAP\<SID-JAVA>\  and the \USR\SAP\<SID-GATEWAY>\ and the \USR\SAP\TRANS directory from copied from the source server to the destination server.

. start of the abap sap instance on the destination server

.start of the java sap instance on the destination server

. restore of non SAP directory

. very very basically SAP system check because nothing is changed.

. start all activity on the destination server ( new hardware ) !

With this procedure it is correct that i don't need to do any post-activity as described in the SAP system copy guide abap an , beacuse I tell you that NO configuration parameter is changed during the system copy ?

Any particular observation to this procedure ?

thank's in advance , Antonio.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Theoretically it is possible. First perform test migration to detect potential problems with your scenario. We do similar hardware migrations (with little difference according to OS specifics: UNIX/Linux with Oracle) for test purposes to save time. I think it is also possible for windows.

Former Member
0 Kudos

my procedure is based on what official Help SAP descrive in this procedure :http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/4b/d8f23ea4b42e5ae10000000a114084/content.htm

Obviously i test first on a test system.

What is not supported in my procedure ? SAP support backup/restore method for system copy.

My procedure is like a disaster recovery.

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Antonio,

You may refer link for list of manual changes or issues faced while copy the Java based system using the approach mentioned in SAP help.

http://www.sap-forum.org/f5/backup-recovery-of-nw70-java-abap-system-t865/

Best approach for JAVA based systems would be to export and then import.

Refer system copy guide for the same.

http://www.saptechies.com/sap-pdf-books-download/011000358700001299432010E343411319088345.pdf

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello

As this is a Windows server how about the registry entries related to SAP ?

How will you get them in the new server ?

I am not sure how important they are, but I am sure there are entries.

Cheers

RB

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Antonio,

You need to follow the Homogenous System Copy guide. Specially when dealing with the JAVA instance you need to do a full export/import otherwise it will simply be unusable.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Juan ,

sorry , i don' t agree with you because my procedure is based on what official Help SAP descrive in this procedure :http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/4b/d8f23ea4b42e5ae10000000a114084/content.htm

So what about my procedure ?

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You asked for advice, I'm giving you my 2 cents.

My advice will be to do a export of your Java system using SWPM and import on your new host. You can save yourself a lot of trouble. For both your ABAP and JAVA systems the procedure is well documented in the Homogenous System Copy guide.

Regards, Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

also the official System Copy for SAP Systems Based on SAP NetWeaver 7.0 SR3 Java support backup/restore metod.

There is no doubt that sap support this method.

My question is regarding my procedure if it is correct.

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well, if you are convinced that approach works go for it.

Experience teach me that export/import is the best option

Regards, Juan