cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

missing log files for an online backup

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Alaa;

I have a development system which runs a script to run the backup manually using the following command:

crontab –l

then copy the script which would be this

/oracle/SID/Online_backup.sh >/oracle/SID/brbackup_online.log &

The backup will start running in background

The issue which I am facing now is that I have the backup, but only the data files without the following files

1) log_g11m1.dbf

2) log_g12m1.dbf

3) log_g13m1.dbf

4) log_g14m1.dbf

how can i restore back my development system using the online backup although it does not have the log files.

These are the files included in my backup:

cntrlSID.dbf

SID.data11 

SID.data7  

SID700.data13

SID700.data7

sysaux.data1 

SID.data12

SID.data8 

SID700.data14

SID700.data8

sysaux.data2 

SID.data2  

SID.data9  

SID700.data2

SID700.data9

system.data1

SID.data3 

SID700.data1

SID700.data3

SIDusr.data1

system.data2

SID.data4

SID700.data10

SID700.data4

undo.data1

SID.data1 

SID.data5

SID700.data11

SID700.data5

SID.data10  

SID.data6 

SID700.data12

SID700.data6

Any help will be appreciated.

Best Regards

~Amal

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Amal,

You can restore it using the brrestore command

brrestore -m full -b <online backup file name>.

Once the restore is completed, you need to create a new controlfile and then perform recovery using

SQL> recover database using backup controlfile until cancel;

Once the recovery is complete you may open the database using command

SQL> Alter database open resetlogs;

When you open the database using resetlogs, new redo log files will get created.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Deepak;

I tried to restore the backup using BRTools, but the issue I am facing with BRTool is that when I do "Verification of database backup" it does not show me the online bacup which i retrieved back from the tape library.

I copied this backup in "/backup/SID" then I started the brtool, but all what it can see is another backup which was taken last, and it is not the one which I need to use.

I checked online, and I found that I need to specify the location of the backup in file "initSID.sap"

Could this be reason why brtools cannot see the required backup? If yes then what are the steps which I need to modify on "initSID.sap"?

Best Regards

~Amal

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Amal,

You need to change following parameter

back_root_directory= < location of backup files>

This can be done in initSID.sap or using brtools as well.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Deepak;

I checked my initSID.sap, and the parameter "backup_root_dir" is having the correct location of the backup.

What shall i do

Best Regards

~Amal

former_member206552
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi amal

is the backup you need to restore located in the /oracle/SID/sapbackup/backSID.log ?

regards

marius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Marious;

Thank you. My backup was not restored in backsid.log so I added it, and it worked. I am able now to use brrestore tool, and the system can see the files of my backup.

Thanks again for your help.

Best Regards

~Amal

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Amal,

I understand that your problem is resolved now. Could you close this thread.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

I market it as answred. shall i do something else to close it?

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

One does not save online redo logs in a online backup, but you have to backup your archive redo logs with separate runs. brbackup does a log switch at the end of the online backup and you have to use the brarchive command to save them.

Then you are able to recover to a point after the online backup.

Cheers Michael

former_member206552
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you are running your database in ARCHIVELOG mode, then never restore the online redo logs from this backup! You will want your current online redo logs (and possibly the archived redo logs) to roll forward any transactions since the time the cold backup was taken. If you overwrite the current online redo logs with the ones in your cold backup, you will only be able to restore up to the point in time of your last archived redo log, which is an incomplete recovery.

If you are running in NOARCHIVELOG mode, then your easiest restore is to overwrite everything . . . the datafiles, the control files and the online redo logs. This way, all files have the same SCN and you do not have any conflicts to resolve. There is no harm in overwriting the online redo logs in this recovery scenario since you will not be able to roll forward anyway.