cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expert opinion required on cleaning up Alerting tables

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

The Alert tables in our XI development system has become huge now. The RSALERTPROC was not run earlier and alert tables are full of expired messages.

Someone had created couple of wrong File channels which kept on creating alerts.

The alert inbox is getting timed out !

I scheduled the RSALERTPROC program in background..it ran for about 6 days and still couldnot complete the activity..unfortunately we had to restart XID and this Job got terminated.

I found out the the tables SALRT, SALRTRECPT & SALRTCNT has the entries related to the alerts. We donot have external recepients so that table is not filled.

I was thinking of executing a "Delete * from table" on all the 3 tables to clear everything...by executing a Z-abap report...

Before i did that, i want to get the expert opinion from SDN. Is this safe to do or is there a better way ?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

prabhu_s2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

def it is not the wise way to do so. try to archeive th DB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prabhu,

I didnot understand our suggestion...Can you elaborate please..

Did you mean archive the entries in the tables at db level..if yes , which tables ?

Again that is same as deleting from a report..if i were to dwonload the data to an file or something and kept a back up..right?

The reason i ask i like that is, because I am not really concerned about the entries being lost and there will never be a need to restore it......

what i am concerned about is to make sure that all the entries in all the alert related tables(i may missed some or many) are cleaned ...there are no hanging entries without reference to the master alert table.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Try to acrhive the entries in to Database.

prabhu_s2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

archieving is more like cleaning the tables....my reference to a DB is to a table only. when u archieve u will have the data for later evaluation. if it is of least importance u can simply delete it thru the prgm...and archiving is not abt downloading to a file. the data will be compressed in format...u can search sdn for table archieving....BASIS can do that

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prabhu,

Thanks for the reply.

I did understand what you said earlier and know about advantages of archiving the data....

The reason i mentoined file was just for a comparison...sorry for that....

I agree with you that having data in the file as backup/archive is not the way to go in any scenario....

Again...my original question was ..how can i ensure that the data related to alerts are completely cleaned up..it doesnot matter whether i do it from an abap program or archive at db level....

That is where i was seeking an opinion on....

Thanks.

prabhu_s2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

here in this case i believe it is purely trial and error basis. but also u can check with f/n mod which does this job:

not much sure with these...but try it out

SALERT_DEL_ACTIVITIES_API

TMS_ALMM_DELETE_ALERT_TREE

OCS_ALM_DELETE_ALERT_TREE

Message was edited by:

Prabhu S