Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red early watch alert even after SAP JVM switch

tejas_patil
Explorer
0 Kudos

hi all,

I am using Netweaver 7.0 SP24 portal. as per my RED EWA the main error was

Since 1st of October, 2012, SAP JVM 4 is the only supported JDK on this release. See SAP Note 1708967 for details.

I have performed the jdk to JVM switch and now portal run on sapjvm 4.1.

Still my early eatch alert report is getting generated as red.

i have not upgraded my wily introscope to run on jvm.

is it a problem.? also is IS AGENT 9 supported for NW 7.0

please help.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

abhijeet_singh2
Participant
0 Kudos

HI,

Please do following in the order :-

1. Check your detailed report. The red alert might not be for old JDK but for other issues related to new JDK. Be Specific to the section where you are getting the EWA red alert. I suspect the red alert is for the garbage collector performance. 

2. If you are 100% sure that red alert is only for old vendor then perhaps the problem is with the fresh data is not being populated. Please install the latest version of ST-PI and ST-API on your Sol Man.  

Thanks

Abhijeet

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello ,

There were new changes in EWA report generation.

Two options for you

>Wat for next week

>Raise a SAP message so that they can perform a service content update in your system(because EWA shows a red alert eventhough you have perforemd a switch)

Kind Regards,

Jacob

tejas_patil
Explorer
0 Kudos

HI all,

sorry for late reply, I was on leave for 2 days.

I have partially solved the problem.

now my EWA has turned from RED to GRAY.

Previously RED alert was due to

Since 1st of October, 2012, SAP JVM 4 is the only supported JDK on this release. See SAP Note 1708967 for details.

and secondly,

Red ratingPerformance of Java System SIDNo performance data is returned from BW Infocube.
Infocube: 0SMD_PE2D , metric type: APPLICATION THREADS , metric name: ACTIVETHREADSCOUNT / metric type: JAVA MEMORY USAGE , metric name: FULLGC FRACTION (%) used in section 'Java System Data for SID'.

The JVM red rating was updated in my this weeks EWA and it went yellow.

dont know how, but my agent was disconnected while i was trying to generate EWA explicitly.

Weekly EWA states GRAY Rating with

yellow  for JVM and

RED for no performance data as stated above.

Although I have followed all the steps and suggestions stated to be done as necessary changes as per KBA 1827116 ( in my case no changes needed)

My explicit EWA turns out to be GRAY.

I get the workload analysis of J2EE thread usage and JAVA memory usage for both hour and day granularity.

also extractors are properly shown with green status.

all seems fine according to KBA 1827116

Also I performed Managed system configuration again to ensure all is correct and updated.

I guess i will have to wait for next scheduled weekly generated report.

anyways thanx Abhishek, Abhijeet and jacob.

any other suggestions regarding the current error?

please help.

tejas_patil
Explorer
0 Kudos

HI all,

sorry for late reply, I was on leave for 2 days.

I have partially solved the problem.

now my EWA has turned from RED to GRAY.

Previously RED alert was due to

and secondly,

Red ratingPerformance of Java System SIDNo performance data is returned from BW Infocube.
Infocube: 0SMD_PE2D , metric type: APPLICATION THREADS , metric name: ACTIVETHREADSCOUNT / metric type: JAVA MEMORY USAGE , metric name: FULLGC FRACTION (%) used in section 'Java System Data for SID'.

The JVM red rating was updated in my this weeks EWA and it went yellow.

dont know how, but my agent was disconnected while i was trying to generate EWA explicitly.

Weekly EWA states GRAY Rating with

yellow  for JVM and

RED for no performance data as stated above.

Although I have followed all the steps and suggestions stated to be done as necessary changes as per KBA 1827116 ( in my case no changes needed)

My explicit EWA turns out to be GRAY.

I get the workload analysis of J2EE thread usage and JAVA memory usage for both hour and day granularity.

also extractors are properly shown with green status.

all seems fine according to KBA 1827116

Also I performed Managed system configuration again to ensure all is correct and updated.

anyways thanx Abhishek, Abhijeet and jacob.

any other suggestions regarding the current error?

please help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tejas

Are you waiting for some new data to be captured by EWA during the next week?

If not, you can trigger the EWA report generation (with latest data collected from target system) whenever you want (on demand) manually.

If you want the detailed steps to manually trigger EWA report please let me know.

I wanted to check whether you are really interested in this or not.

-Roshan

abhijeet_singh2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Like i had said its for JVM tuning .. and from other details it looks like its a BI java System.

Please use following notes to tune the JVM.

Reference Note :-

1. 1603093
  2. 1044330
  3. 723909

Also for garbage collector algorithm .. please use XX:+UseParallelOldGC instead of XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC. (only for BI Java not in any other)

If you yet get red alert let me know.

Thanks

Abhijeet

tejas_patil
Explorer
0 Kudos

Yes Rohan,

I was waiting for the scheduled EWA report.

And as i beleived it came with a Yellow rating. (Yippie)

I also triggered the data transfer manually and also generated the report on demand, but still it was not showing any difference in report(it was Red)

But now, the scheduled report has come as Yellow.

Dont know the cause for the previous red reports.

Anyway thanx for help.

And Abhijit Yes this is a BI JAVA system.

GC problem did not occur to me in this but My todays Report of BI Production system is red due to.

Based on high average garbage collection times performance problems of the J2EE Engine are expected.

A high ratio of full garbage collections to all garbage collections indicate performance problems of the J2EE Engine.

I think your suggestion will help me in that.

Thanx all for help.

hemanth2
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Tejas ,

Hope you are doing good.

Please check the sap note 723909 and make sure that you are using the right memory settings.

You basically need to set the memory parameters right. Even if you have unlimited physical memory, it is not recommended to increase the heap size, because the higher the heap size, the slower the system will be, with longer Garbage Collections, etc. So, please do not increase the heap memory to 4GB (unless BI is used). The optimal configuration is composed by many server nodes with 2GB composed of many server nodes with 2GB of heap size each, this increases the CPU paralelism/eficiency and reduces the GC time, and the server in overall becomes faster.

For this particular reason, SAP has developed the Quick Sizer (which is a Web-based tool).

This is available free of cost for customers from:

<http://service.sap.com/quicksizer>

and

<http://service.sap.com/sizing>

You will be able to identify whether more hardware/ server nodes etc. are needed and resize the server accordingly. With the Quick Sizer you can translate business requirements into technical requirements. Simply fill in the online questionnaire, an up-to-date survey that is based on business-oriented figures. The results you obtain can help you select an economically balanced system that matches your company's business goals.

Thank you and have a nice day :).

Kind Regards,

Hemanth

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tejas and Abhijeet,

we would like to switch to JVM from JDK on solman 7.1 SP7, could you please help me in couple of queries as i am new to solman, basically i am from support.

1. do we need to perform this during downtime of time System? or system will be restart at the end of activity?

2. do we need to set JAVA_HOME env manually after switch?

thank you in advance.

Regards,

Anil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Are you sure that SAP JVM is cause of red rating?

AbhishekGupta1
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Tejas,

Can you please check system info of your portal system?

http://<host>:<port>/sap/monitoring/SystemInfo

here all server and dispatcher nodes must show sap jvm.

If they still showing vendor jvm, your jvm switch is not correctly done.

Regards,

Abhi

tejas_patil
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Abhishek,

I have confirmed the switch at the mentioned location it is very well showing SAP JVM 4.1 unlike previously shown value 1.4.2

also at os level(solaris 10) in env it is properly showing sapjvm as the currently used JVM.

is there any other thing i am missing?/

note:- I have skipped wily introscope configuration to use SAP JVM while performing jdk to JVM switch.

Is it this that is causing problem and showing me red result in my ewa??

please help.

AbhishekGupta1
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Tejas,

I am not sure if not registering in wily will have such impact.

I think you might be using solman 7.1?

if yes, please try to check lmdb  for that portal and also check if your smd agent is running fine.

Regards,

Abhi

abhijeet_singh2
Participant
0 Kudos

HI Abhi,

I guess SMD agents is not required for generating EWA...
If SAP host agent and CCMS is running that is sufficient.

Thanks

Abhijeet