cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sales Order using a Dummy Material

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

When we are loading Sales Orders through EDI , some of the IDocs are failing because the materials does not exist in ECC.

Can we create a Dummy Material say : DUMMY in such case, so that the Sales orders will get loaded? If yes, which Material type should be used?

Thank you

Naga

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

jpfriends079
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Naga,

There are 2 possibility I would propose to cater this requirement.

1. When I create Sales Order based on EDI for all my Customers. Then in that case instead of creating dummy material, I would prefer top go for Sales Order with Item Category TATX. Where don't need to maintain any material master for the incoming orders.

2. When I'm creating sales order via EDI for particular customers. In that case I would prefer to have customer material info record(CMIR) in place to match customer material master with ours. Where while creating a sales order I would provide order material info in VBAP-KDMAT: Customer Material Number(Material Number Used by Customer). If in case customer by chance ordered something new and no available in CMIR, then I would prefer to have text Item (I Cat TATX as mention possibility 1). Instead of having Dummy material for everything.

I hope that can be of some help.

Thanks, JP

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member184080
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Generally its not the best practice to use DUMMY material to create the sales order. Say, for E.g. You have created order with DUMMY material, then how would user knows that there is sales order with dummy material? Do you have any control ? If so, is your client ready to accept this and ready to do the retrospective work? Like, create the actual material and update the order with real material?

How do they know which order which new material they have to use?

If you have answers for this questions, then you can use same material type as what you use for other materials in general for your sales. SAP standard material type for finished goods is FERT.

Note: If your creating DUMMY, then don't do any stock posting.

Please let me know if you need any further details.

Regards, Sai krishna.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sai Krishna:

We are thinking that for DUMMY Materials, some legacy information related to materials should also be populated in sales order, maybe in sales text section.

Currently, in our system, FERT has internal number assignment. So, do you know which material type we can use so that it has external number assignment like DUMMY or 999999? Should we create a customized material type in such case?

Thank you.

Naga

former_member184080
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You have to check in MMNR. If you have MM consultant he/she can help you more on this.However, whichever material type you are using, it should have sales views maintained in material master. Otherwise you can't use that material in Sales order.

If none has the external number range, then, its better to create DUMMY one for the DUMMY materials

Also, can you check which is material type you are using for your sales materials? Generally, we will create our own material type like ZFIN (Finsihed goods). Check with your MM guy for the confirmation.

Below thread explains more on material master number range.

http://scn.sap.com/thread/1749957

Regards, Sai Krishna.

former_member184065
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear,

Material Master Data is purely relevant to MM Guy . This is not our part to do in SAP .First of all , you need to sit with / meet with your MM Guy and they can gently handle this by their self or else they should meet to higher Guys and get the suggestions / rights from them and process it .

Note : We have to analyse as this is Company Prospective way .Better way is , Please forward to this into MM Forum then you will get Correct Output what you expected .

In SAP , we can do whatever when we know exactly what we wanted  ,that is good or bad is Important here .

Thanks,

Naren

abhinav_sharma05
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Naga,

Although i am not able to go in depth in to your question, but if in case you need to populate ur legacy material number in the dummy materials you can use field- BISMT in the table MARA.

Basic Data1- General Data TAB.

Thanks,