cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create replicate database while not suspending activity on primary

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have encountered a situation where I have to create replicate database while there is activity on primary. I have been using scenario 3 described in document ASE-to-ASE Replication Quick Start Guide for 15.7.1. in chapter Materialization and Resynchronization.

In that scenario it is said that "It is assumed that activity cannot be stopped at the primary database while the database dump is in progress."

But in my current situation, replicate database is on different platform, and I have to obey the procedure for cross platform migration which said:

"Adaptive Server cannot load this database because the database that was dumped was not quiescent when the dump was performed. Run sp_flushstats before DUMP DATABASE and ensure that the database is not updated during the dump."

So, from one point I can not stop the activity on primary, but for creating cross platform dump I have to stop this activity, or if I do not do this, I will encounter a problem during loading that database into replicate database.

So, my question is - how to reconcile these two opposites?

Best regards,

Vojislav Depalov

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member182259
Contributor
0 Kudos

There is another way.   What you are referring to is XPDL restrictions in ASE.   As Mark pointed out, you could use an intermediate (e.g. a dev/test or QA) system of the same platform and load the dump/redump quiesced there.....however, you still have the nasty sp_post_xpload fun that can take hours...plus you still are restricted to the same pagesize & locking as the primary.   Some customers have found it easier to simply do a bulkcopy method of bulk materialization - copy the schema, bulk load the data most of the data (e.g. historical), create the pkey indexes, and add the other indexes as necessary.  They then simply use dsi_command_convert to globally put SRS into an autocorrect style mode and then start replication up.  At the primary, they simply use rs_ticket and when the ticket arrives at the replicate, they can turn dsi_command_convert off.