cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OPC server connectivity issue from SAP MII 12.1

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I have a Requirement to connect an OPC server from sap MII 12.1 to get the data in form of tags

We are using RSView 32 OPC server ,

I came across through some posts that Pco has the ability to connect

I tried using Pco connection connecting the source system , but I am unaware whether my source system is connected successfully or not

My destination to MII system is successful

Can we get all the tags to which source system(RS View 32 sacada system) Pco is connected in Pco management console.

Please share me the document how to configure Pco connectivity from Pco and MII side(Data Server creation)

Atleast send me a suggestion how to proceed with OPC server.

Its an urgent requirement ,please share me any documents if you have?

Regards,

Eswar

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member196557
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI Eswar,

1.  Is PCo installed on the same PC/Server as RSView?

2.  Are you connecting to RSView or the actual communication server (RSLinx or FactoryTalk Gateway)?

3.  If you installed PCo on a different Server than the OPC Server, did you install the OPC Core Components prior to installing PCo, as is described in the PCo Installation guide?  PCo documentation for all versions is online at help.sap.com/pco

In general, you have to follow these steps to connect OPC data to MII for tag browsing:

In PCo: Create an OPC Source Agent connected to the OPC Server you select

Create an Agent Instance for the OPC Source Agent, in the Query Ports tab, set an unsed port for the version of MII you are using.

Start the agent Instance in PCo

In MII:   Create a UDC Connector in Data Servers for PCo Agent Instance using either Legacy or MII before 12.2 versions or

Use a TagQuery object to query this Data Server

Create a PCo Connector in Data Servers for PCo Agent Instance using MII 12.2 or later versions

Use a PCoQuery object to query this Data Server

Regards, Steve

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Steve,

I am very new to use Pco management console

Create an Agent Instance for the OPC Source Agent, in the Query Ports tab, set an unsed port for the version of MII you are using.

I am not sure how to proceed further ,

please send me a any complete document you have any to proceed ..

Can Pco load all the tags available for the seleted list of OPC servers installed ?

I am totally kid in this area ,please help

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Steve,

By doing as suggested by you , I am getting all the groups in the tag query

But I am not getting the tags in the respective group,

please suggest me any settings needs to be done?

Regards,

Eswar

former_member196557
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Eswar,

1. How did you get the groups, from an MII TagQuery or PCoQuery? If so, what Mode did you use when defining the query?
  2. What is the exact version of PCo you are using?
  3. Try to browse for tags from the Agent Instance that you created:
    1.      click on Subscriptions tab
    2.      click on Browse, opens a browse window
    3.      click on Browse in the browse window
    4.      expand the browse list until you get to groups tht have tags, or you get an error
  4. If you saw tags, then PCo is working correctly
  5. If you get an error, please give the error message and a screen shot of the browse window.

Regards, Steve

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I am using RS Linx OPC Server ,I am trying to connect it through PC0 2.1 to get the tags.

I am not getting any errors , empty groups in the Pco, testing this on Pco side only.

Problem is :

Its loading me all the groups , but not the tags in Subscriptions tab of Agent Instance you mentioned to me

Is there any setting needs to be done.?

Do I need to upgrade my PCo , I got this from my earlier post ,upgrading to PCo 2.3 can solve the problem, but I dont find PCo 2.3 in SAP SMP Site

I am slecting Source as "OPC DA Agent".

Please suggest me how to proceed , Its very urgent

Thanks & Regards,

Eswar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Steve,

I am waiting for your reply,

How could I solve this Problem

please help

Thanks,

Eswar

former_member196557
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Eswar,

Unfortunately, it is not possible to browse RSLinx tags using PCo 2.1.  The next SP release of PCo 2.2, and the GA release of PCo 2.3 (expected mid-May this year) will fix this issue.  I do not yet have a date for the release of the next SP for PCo 2.2, but my understanding is that it will be released before the PCo 2.3 GA release.

Regards, Steve

Former Member
0 Kudos

Many Thanks Steve .

I am using Lighthammer UDS Version 2.5.0.4 to connect to RSLinx OPC Server.

Its partially fulfilling my requirement , when I check some machines from Matrikon OPC Explorer, they are getting connected to PLC's but not from UDS

I am using alias configuration for adding tags in which I cant able to see some machines.

How do I proceed with this ,any other options available ??

I need to start my development here,

Please suggest me ..

Thanks,

Eswar

former_member196557
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Eswar,

First try to get an update to UDS to 4.0,  If you search the SAP Support Portal, Software Downloads for XMII UDS 4.0 and locate the SP2 Patch 06 exe and download it, use this.  Save your 2.5 configuration and export your aliases before upgrading as you may need to uninstall UDS 2.5 in order to install 4.0.

Make sure that you can see that same OPC Topic names defined in RSLinx, in OPC Explorer, and from UDS.  Creating the Alias for the tags you want is the correct way to do this with UDS.  When PCo 2.3 is released, I believe that you can export your alias lists from UDS and import them into the Aliases in PCo 2.3. You can also set up  PCo Agent Instance with the same port as UDS, and MII will work with the same Data Server configuration you are using with UDS.

Regards, Steve

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Steve,

I am bit confused here .

I have seen the following list of UDS in my machine

1)SAP xMII UDS

2)SAP xMII OPC DA UDS

3)LightHammer UDS Admin Version 2.5.0.4

I am using the third one from the list above, when UDS is started the light will glow.

I gor this from a guy who posted a PDF file in SAP site regarding OPC Connectivity to SAP MII 11.5

I am able to connect to MII and get the tag Information , Is this a old one.?

Which one is the best option to choose

please clarify me why we have different UDS Installed on the machine

Tell me the purpose of each , waiting for your reply

Regards,

Eswar

former_member196557
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Eswar,

I have not had any experience with UDS prior to 4.0.  I would recommend that you update to the latest version for your testing,  UDS 2.5 is a very old version.

With UDS 4.0, the Admin console is the only thing you will see in the Start Menu.  All the UDS connectors are deployed with installation.

Regards, Steve

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your prompt reply Steve.

I updated to latest version as suggested by you .

I am communicating directly to the RSLinx communication server ,the client doesn't want to use RSView32 Scada System,

By Using xMII UDS Admin 4.0 , for browsing the tags it takes a very long time to load the tags.

Finally its giving me all the groups , but not the tags.

Any Settings need s to be done?

I would like to generate the tags from UDS Admin and import it into PCO Console.

Regards,

Eswar

former_member196557
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Eswar,

Which version of RSLinx is being used, and what product (RSLinx Classic, RSLinx Enterprise, RSLinx Gateway, etcZ)?

Is UDS installed on the same server as RSLinx?

What type of PLC (or PLC's) are you retrieving the tags from?

Regards, Steve

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply .

I am using RSLinx Classic gateway (2.52.00.17) as an OPC Server to communicate to the PLC.s

yes the UDS is installed on the same machine

We have Allen Bradley PLC-5 , SLC-5 , PLC 2/30 machines in the plant

I am able to get online data from all the machines except PLC 2/30 type machines.

Any idea about this why is it happened.?

Is it a good approach to use RSLinx gateway as an OPC server?

Regards,

Eswar

former_member196557
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Eswar,

RSLinx Classic Gateway is OK for use with UDS (and PCo 2.2 SP 4 or PCo 2.3, when released) for browsing OPC data.

The PLC-2/30 is a very old system and may require a symbol file to browse from OPC. It does not have an Ethernet interface, only Serial (DF1) or Data Highway/Data Highway+ interfaces to RSLinx.

I recommend that you make sure that each OPC Topic configured in RSLinx have a symbol file assigned to it that provides a symbolic tag name for each address that you wan to browse in UDS or PCo.  The symbol file can be either an import from the PLC program that is associated with the Topc, or can be created manually as a CSV file.  From RSLinx Menu, select DDE/OPC, Topic Configuration, Select Topic, click on Data Collection Tab.  Check the Use Symbols check box and browse to where the symbol file is located on the RSLinx PC.  Here is a sample screen shot:

CSV Symbol file format is documented in the RSLinx Help: Select Contents tab and search for Symbol Database.

Regards, Steve

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Steve,

That's a great help Steve, appreciate your help.

I am facing a weird issue here ,

I want to use P co 2.1 instead of UDS for notification purpose.

My idea is to load all the tags from UDS and import it into Pco 2.1 as Pco doesnt support RSLinx OPC Server

When try to load the tags through browse button from UDS , its loading the groups but not tags

I am facing this problem

Any settings needs to be done in xMII UDS 4.0 ,

could you please check this .

Regards,

Eswar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Steve,

Many thanks for the reply .

As you suggested , I tried to get the symbol file from PLC

I am very new to PLC , unable to find it .

Could you please send me any sample symbol file in CSV format ..

Do we have to do any programming in PLC to expose this symbol file.

How can I create manually this file ..

I cant able to open the RSLinx help as there is a security update in windows server ...

PCo 2.2 SP4 can directly expose RSLinx OPC Server tags ..??..I will install it ,had older version

Please do suggest me how to proceed further.

Regards,

Eswar

former_member196557
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The CSV format for the RSLinx symbol file is like this:

Address,<empty>,Name,<empty>

Where Addrress is the PLC Address, <empty> is a blank column, Name is the Symbol name for the address, followed by a 2nd empty column.  Do not put any column names in the first row of the file.

Each Topic needs a separate symbol file so I would include the topic name in the file name so you can keep track of which symbol file is used with which Topic.

PCo2.2 SP 4 is not released yet, and I do not know when the release date is at present.

Regards, Steve

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Steve,

That's a great help Steve, appreciate your help.

I am facing a weird issue here ,

I want to use P co 2.1 instead of UDS for notification purpose.

My idea is to load all the tags from UDS and import it into Pco 2.1 as Pco doesnt support RSLinx OPC Server

When try to load the tags through browse button of alias from UDS , its loading the groups but not tags

If I dont use alias file in UDS , its loading only 2 groups (PLC's) in SAP MII 12.1

Is MII limits the no of tags.? how to overcome this problem?

Here are my settings ..

OPCServerName: RSLinx Remote OPC Server

ReadDescriptions: False

LookupItemID: True

CacheMode: None

NamespaceBrowsing: True

NamespacePathDelimiter: .

BrowseMask: *

BrowseMode: Hierarchial

DemandLoadMetadata: True

ReadMode: Async

ReadDelay: 0

ReadSource: Device

AcceptableDataQuality: Bad

Synchronize: False

Any settings needs to be done in xMII UDS 4.0 ,

could you please check this .

Regards,

Eswar

former_member196557
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Eswar,

On your MII TagQuery object, in General settings, change the RowCount to a value large enough to make sure that all the tags that are in all the Groups can be returned in the query.  Try changing rowcount to a very large number, like 5000 or 10000, and re-query the tags.

Note that in PCo there is also a Rowcount limit found in Tools, Options, Browsing (when you are able to use PCo to browse RSLinx)

Regards, Steve