cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ERP and BW on the same system?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Is it possible and recommended to use a vanilla client of an ERP system as a BW system?

And what about doing that on HANA as database?

Anyone did that before? Any good or bad experience?

Thanks in advance,

Natti Nachmias

SAP Basis Group Manager

Xact Soft LTD

M: +972-545-888107

E: natti@xact.co.il

Visit our new website: www.xact.co.il

Like our facebook page Xact.Soft

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have a unique situation, but can offer some experience related to the BW question (not HANA)

We have our BW client in the same system as the ERP environment.  It has been a few years, but I recall a few hoops to jump through regarding some of the client independent tables and transports.

Having said that, and this is obviously critical, we do not use the end-user component of BW as our company already had a custom build MSSQL-based data warehouse that they preferred to use.  So, we use all the BW components up through getting the data into PSA tables.  The data warehouse team then grabs the data from there at the SQL level (tables /BIC/B.......).  For this purpose I would say the impact is negligible (hate to say zero impact, but close enough), especially if you implement the cleanup processes (including the IDOCs that go back and forth).  I can't speak to the utilization impacts if we did real OLAP work though - sorry.

Eric

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Natti,

I just had a chance to look into HANA database administration PDF.

It says that SAP recommends NOT to install any other softwares in the box where HANA database is installed and make sure that your hardware is certified for HANA. Otherwise your installation will fail in your pre-requisitie check itself..

It is recommended not to install more than one HANA DB in a box  due to memory consumptions and other concerns.

Thanks and Regards,

Vimal

0 Kudos

Hello Natti,

Yes! you can install ERP & BI Server on same host provided your server sizing (Computation power ) is enough to support both in instance.

HANA - HANA is in memory compuatation and this software deliver along with Hardware for More info check SMP.

Regards,

Vivekanand Pandey

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Natti,

We can have ERP and BW both running on the same client from ECC 6.0 Release and above.

For HANA , I am not sure about the technology but I guess it should be possible as HANA is capable of porting multiple databases.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori