cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to HANA ?

nishant_ranjan
Explorer
0 Kudos

I am very new to HANA. I do not have any experience in eclipse as well. I am working as a developer and have written some legal reports in ABAP.

We have requirement to move some of these reports those are having performance issues, to HANA. These reports read documents posted for whole year, and do some analysis and give output in text format, which goes to legal authorities. It also displays data in ALV outputs.  It takes 2-3 days to run these reports.

As a starting point, i have installed HANA studio in my machine. Could you please guide me from where i should start?   Is there any study material which will help me in re-writing the codes to use HANA? How ABAP in eclipse could be used?I do not have to use analytic features of HANA. JUst need some study materials to write HANA related codes in ABAP to query existing tables in R/3 systems.

Questions written above could be naive but It will be really helpful if you could guide me for above queries.

Thanks,

Nishant

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nishant,

Replacing ABAP reports (or pretty much any current IT solution) with a HANA-based solution is non-trivial. As you've never worked with HANA (or Eclipse, but that's less of an issue), you have a steep learning curve ahead of you.

In a majority of cases, the approach you DON'T want to take is just to redirect queries to HANA from from your current DB in your ABAP (or any other language) code. You need to consider the logic of the application and how it can be re-engineered to gain the best performance benefit from HANA.

Also, What do you mean when you say you "don't need to use analytic features of HANA"?  Even if you're not doing aggregation or typical BI logic, there are still plenty of HANA features that should be considered in solution design. Again, it's not a matter of just sending current SELECT statements to HANA.

If you have HANA expertise in your organization, I'd highly recommend you work closely with those folks on solution design and implementation. If you don't have expertise but this project has a tight deadline and/or large revenue potential, you may want to consider engaging an experienced external HANA consultant/developer. If you find the right person, the speed and quality of the solution that they can assist you with would be well worth the cost, especially if you work closely with and learn from them.

If none of these are options, then I'd encourage you to go through the official documentation at help.sap.com/hana_appliance - specifically the developer's guide. There are also lots of useful guides here on the SCN forum as well as informative videos at the SAP HANA Academy.

Good luck!