Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User role copy in SAP HANA

former_member210615
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I have few questions about user roles:

1.)  I wanted to copy roles from specific user to another user, but i am unable to find such option. I tried finding answer for same in diff modelling/admin/security guides avilable but no success.

2.)  Wanted to know if we make new roles/user are these case sensitive?

Regards

Laksh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Laksh,

You might want to check out this discussion http://scn.sap.com/thread/2064390 it has a sql procedure to create a new user by coping the permissions of a template user.

I hope this helps.

Albrecht

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Albrecht et al.

while such a simple "copy the user" script is straight forward to implement, the difficult part here is the correct assignment of permissions.

As it is relevant *who* granted which privileges and *who* is allowed to grant those further, it's required that the role/user admin setup is prepared for this copy-action.

That means, all permissions have to be granted and grant-able by the same user with user/role privileges.

So, be careful here, otherwise you might run into some unexpected situations, e.g. when you drop the user account that granted the permissions.

- Lars

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI Laksh,

currently there is no built-in function to copy a role available.

To do something like a role-copy, you could ensure that roles are always created based on SQL scripts consistent of GRANT statements.

Concerning the case-sensitivity: roles and user names can only be uppercase (they are always treated as unlimited identifiers).

- Lars