cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query Kernel upgrade and SQLDBC runtime

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a follow up question as well on the above subject, I found contradicting information. As per Note 822239 point 14F SQLDBC version should be at 7.7.07 build 41 or higher for all platforms (we are at 7.7.7.032).  In another note, 1716826, it says we can go for Kernel 721_EXT as long as we are at least version 7.7.04.09 of the MaxDB Client software (SQLDBC). I thought if pre-requisite is missing for 720_REL kernel upgrade, it should also miss for 721_EXT. Any thoughts please.

Also, per PAM(screen dump attached), Kernel 721_EXT is for database version 7.8 however note 1716826 again contradicts this. Please advise if we can go for 721_REL_EXT Patch 100 directly rather than going for 720_REL Patch 402 patch.

Regards

Kalyan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just to clarify what I am looking for here.

Note 822239 Point 14 F reads - SAP kernel Release 7.20 (incl. 7.20 EXT, NW 7.02, NW 7.03, NW 7.20, NW 7.3x). The SQLDBC runtime versions required by the DBSL (dbsdbslib) are:7.7.07 build 41 or higher all available platforms.

Whereas Note 1716826 Point 1 D reads - SAP Maxdb.  The SAP kernel 721 requires at least version 7.7.04.09 of the MaxDB Client software (SQLBC).

Finally, PAM shows your database would have to be Maxdb 7.8 inorder to use SAP Kernel 721_EXT which the note 1716826 doesn't talk about.

My queries

1) Can I upgrade to Kernel 721_EXT when we are at Maxdb 7.7 with SQLDBC at 7.7.7.032

2) If I upgrade to Kernel 721_EXT  PL 100 or even 720 PL 420 should I be at SQLDBC Version 7.7.04.09 as per note 1716826   or    7.7.07 build 41  as per note 822239

SAP notes and PAM are deviating a bit with accuracy and SAP has snubbed this as consulting when logged a call .  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards

Kalyan

thorsten_zielke
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kalyan,

the MaxDB package contains the MaxDB kernel plus (among others) the interface component SQLDBC. There is no need to have the kernel and the SQLDBC library at the same version level, although you would usually install/upgrade everything when applying a new software patch.

The PAM has probably pointed you to the MaxDB *kernel* required to be of 7.8, but did not mention the SQLDBC library (correct me, if I am wrong here - did not check this).

Both notes you were referring to described the minimum needed SQLDBC version in combination with the SAP kernel 721_EXT (not the MaxDB kernel). But you are correct that the recommended SQLDBC libraries differ from 7.7.04.09 to 7.7.07.41 and I concur that this should be corrected making the information consistent in both notes 1716826 and 822239. Of, course, if in doubt, always use the higher version, so please go for 7.7.07.41 (or higher) first. This would help you to avoid bugs/issues we have fixed in newer SQLDBC releases.

Still, let me try to update these notes and thank you for pointing this out.

Thorsten

Former Member
0 Kudos

Much appreciated for your response Thorsten.

Sorry...I have a follow up question. As per note 649814, the command argument used by sdb installer for updating SQLDBC(runtime)/Client Software is -profile "Runtime for SAP AS" however I don't see this argument in the help options. The help options has all,Database Studio,DB Analyzer,JDBC,Loader,Script Interface,Server and WebJTools. Does this mean "Runtime for SAP AS" is a hidden option ?

Also as per note 649814 it says to update the client software only when asked by SAP if done in isolation to the actual DB upgrade. In that light, is it advisable to upgrade client software when upgrading Kernel.  The note doesn't make any special recommendation although we know SAP Kernel has dependancy with SQLDBC

Regards

Kalyan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can any one please respond to my queries please.

1) Is upgrading SQLDBC (client software) without being advised by SAP a good approach. We intend to upgrade client software because we are patching our 720 Kernel to PL402 and to fulfil point 14F of SAP Note 822239 we want to update SQLDBC as well. We are skeptical because SAP Note 649814 only advises to update client software only when asked by SAP.

2) the command for updating client software - SDBINST -profile "Runtime For SAP AS".   Is "Runtime for SAP AS" a hidden option then for SDBINST as I cant see this option in the standard help for 7.7 although i can see this option for 7.6 on the help portal.

Regards

Kalyan

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kalyana,

As I understand you want to apply Kernel 720_EXT on your SAP system which is running on MaxDB 7.7. I have gone through the notes required for it and below I furnish my understanding towards the same.

Step 1: As per SAP note 1716826 d) SAP MaxDB

The SAP kernel 721 requires at least version 7.7.07.41 of the MaxDB Client software (SQLBC). For more details refer to SAP Notes 822239 and 1487269.

Step 2  As per SAP note 1487269

If SAP kernel 7.20 is used in SAP systems with SAP kernel 7.00, 7.01 or 7.10, proceed according to the following instructions in order to determine and update if necessary the version of the SAP MaxDB client software (SQLDBC).

-  Check the SQLDBC version on all application servers as per SAP Note 822239.

-  For an SQLDBC of Version < 7.7.04.09, you must update the SAP MaxDB client software to the current version 7.7 available on SAP Service Marketplace.SAP Note 649814 provides information about where to download the SAP MaxDB client software (Application Runtime Package) from SAP Service Marketplace and how to install this software.

Step 3  As per SAP note 822239

17. How can I determine which version of the SQLDBC runtime is currently in use?

The SQLDBC version that is currently being used by the SAP application is logged on each application server in the developer trace logs (dev_w* files). In transaction SM50, select a work process and choose the menu option 'Process -> Trace -> Display File' to go to the log. In the log, search for the following character strings:

C SQLDBC SDK Version :

C SQLDBC Library Version :

C SQLDBC client runtime is

For example:

SQLDBC SDK Version : SQLDBC. H  7.6.0    BUILD 002-121-083-965

SQLDBC Library Version : libSQLDBC 7.6.6    BUILD 022-123-109-428

SQLDBC client runtime is MaxDB 7.6.6.022 CL 109428

Hope if you follow the sequence your doubts will be clear.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

Thank you for the response.

We want to upgrade Kernel from 720  PL120 to 720 PL402...so we are already on Kernel 720. As per 14F of SAP Note 822239 if we are using 720, we should be at 7.7.07 build 41 however we are currently at 7.7.07 build 32 (already behind recommendation) so we are wondering if we can update client software whilst we patch our Kernel. Apprehensions are because SAP Note 649814 advises to upgrade SQLDBC(Client software) only upon recommendation from SAP (may be when we report for some bug which roots itself to SQLDBC not being on a recommended level).  I think we can upgrade however we don't have a sandbox to validate so working on limited means here hence seeking advise from Maxdb mentors here

Regards

Kalyan

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kalyana,

As per  Note 649814 - Updating SAP MaxDB / liveCache client software

You must use this SAP Note if one of the following situation applies:

You have been asked by SAP Support to update the client package on the application servers.

You have been asked by SAP Support to install a new precompiler runtime.

You have been asked by SAP Support to install a new SQLDBC version.

You have been asked by SAP Support to install a new JDBC version.

You have been asked by SAP Support to install a new loader.

For above situation to happen to need to raise and OSS message to SAP support else how will they ask you to perform any of these activities.

From mypoint of view you can follow the steps mentioned in the SAP notes for kernel upgrade and complete its pre-requisites. Ensure you can consistent backup before proceeding with these activities.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kalyana,

Incase your query is answered request you to close this thread.

Regards,

Deepak Kori