cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

make the header material of a sales set BOM a non stock

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

Can anyone please tell me how to make the header material of a sales set BOM a non stock or not relevant for stock ?

My requirement is to create the delivery from a STO and execute subsequent processing upto PGI and billing the same was as it was created by a standard sale order. only requirement at header level is to do the pricing. Rest of the delivery processes will be done at the component/sub item level.

I have been able to create the delivery now based on the STO, but the concern is SAP expect the header material to have stocks at the time of creating delivery.

Can anyone please tell me how can I get rid of this error ? I'm not sure what consequences will arise if I changed the header mat.type to NLAG. please advice

Currently the material type of both header and components are HAWA and item category grp ERLA and NORM respectively. 

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

This thread was a great start for me when I needed to price at the parent but perform everything else at the child level on a Sales Order.  However, I didn’t get the full picture based on the information that people provided, and I wanted to include a full set of the settings I made to get this to work properly.  I’m not saying this is perfect, but this setup produced the results I needed, which were:

Parent material is setup as an NLAG

Pricing is done at the Parent level

Parent Material is included on the Delivery and Invoice.

Parent Material is “Pickable” but not maintained in stock, hence being an NLAG

Child Materials are setup as FERT materials

Child Materials are NORM item cat group and can be sold individually or within the BOM

Child Materials are Batch Managed

Parent Item Category Settings:

Item Type = A

Billing Relevance = A

Pricing = X

Checkmarks on: Business Item, Sched Line Allowed, Item Rel for Delivery, Weight/Vol Relevant, Credit Active, Determine Cost

Child Item Category Settings:

Billing Relevance = BLANK

Pricing = BLANK

Checkmarks on: Business Item, Sched Line Allowed, Weight/Vol Relevant, Credit Active, Determine Cost

Schedule Line Categories

Parent Item Category assigned to custom Schedule Line Category for all MRP Types, which only has a checkmark in Item Rel for Delivery. All other items are blank except the Incompletion Procedure

Child Item Category assigned to standard Schedule Line Category CP for all MRP Types

Reply if you have any additional questions and I'll try to answer them

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Eric

Thanks for sharing. You have done good work and your requirement was meant to be met by this configuration you have explained above. This will be a good turning point for any fresher who'll google this for searching a solution.

Thank$

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Former Member, MozzaM,

Could you please explain why you have given field "Item Type" = A (Value item), for item category of the main item?

If the configuration has pricing = X, then pricing (value) would be done on the main item level (and not at the sub-item level; ofcourse in sub-item field "Statistical value" should be activated).

Connecting thread http://scn.sap.com/thread/3401284

My post might be helpful for the OP of the above thread.

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

I think I did that just to copy the main item in delivery document just as text item. I didnt actually delivered that item. There was schedule line category with main item having no movement type.

Thank$

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

MoazzaM,

Thanks for your reply!

From my understanding, if in the main item category, the field Item type = Blank, then too it wont make any difference.

Would you agree?

Note: To get the main item in to the delivery document, the setting in VOV6, schedule line category, field "Rel. for delivery" and relevant copy control in VTLA would be sufficient.

To not have inventory for main item category, in VOV6, in schedule line category, field "Movt type" should be blank.

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

I have to test this again after a long time

At that time I had tested with the settings I have mentioned in my earlier posts and it worked well. If you are sure about that then you can leave that field blank. But Its long time now I have to test the scenario again.

Thank$

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

MoazzaM,

Thank you for your reply!

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

LoriLBrown
Newcomer
0 Kudos

Resolved my own issue - after further reading through this link, I found that I had overlooked making all the changes in the copy from the sales document to the delivery. Used transaction VTLA and changed the Order Requirements from 101 to 102 on my header level item..

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

How to make an item (main or sub) not relevant for inventory / stock?

In other words, after PGI, the stock of that material does not decrease.

Probably you have already talked about this, in this thread.

Just to reiterate (based on lots of testing), if we keep field Movt. type = blank, in a schedule line category; then the stock for that item does not get deducted.

Even if this item is featuring in the delivery document.

Former Member maybe this could help you.

Please test it.

http://scn.sap.com/message/14256060#14256060

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thank you sir for testing and sharing. I remember I did this but I was not remembering the steps which you have cleared now.

Thank$

former_member184555
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

TW,

' MoazzaM ' wrote:

Thank you sir for testing and sharing. I remember I did this but I was not remembering the steps which you have cleared now.

Thank$

It seems you have understood the process and tested it successfully. Hence, request you to create a blog explaining the process in detail so that it will be helpful for many members.

Thanks in advance...

Regards,

Ravi Sankar

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi

Thanks for this suggestion. I will try to create a blog explaining the whole process. Although it has been discussed many times but still there are some points which we need to clear about configuring Sales BOM.

Thank$

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

MoazzaM,

You would be one of "THE" members to create a document on BOM.

Please give as many business examples (with various BOM scenarios - Main item with stock, without stock etc. etc.)

Interesting set up of BOM is the "structure" - 1EA Main item with 2EA of Sub-item1 and 1EA of Sub-item2 is independent of the item category(ies);

The structure is set in CS01 and the item categories are set in VOV4.

SAP is truely a well-structured, creative system!

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Rahul

I have achieved my requirement and tested it. Its working fine. Pricing at header level and inventory at component level. Have you tested and accomplished this?

Thank$

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Moazzam, apologies for the delayed respond due to long holidays over here in oz.

nice to hear that you have accomplished your requirement. I too have got it through(pretty much the similar way except that my Item Cat Grp and schedule line cat are slightly different to yours.

But my main issue at this stage is my users does not want to create the delivery for any of the component items in the BOM until all the components has stocks in hand and can fulfill the whole requirement. Im using the backorder processing logic to commit the full quantities for components in the schedule line. but still SAP creates deleveries for the available quantities irrespective of whether it is fully commited or not, only for the items which has stocks on hand. As I mentioned I need to stop this untill all the components has stocks (as per the ATP check) in hand.

(please note that I'm using a STO instead of a sale order for this scenario)

Highly appreciate if you or TW or any of the members can give some input on this. 

Thanks in advance.

Rahul.

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Rahul

Since you are using STO for this process may I know one thing that how you are exploding BOM in STO? Can you please share your process that how you are creating STO and delivery.

Thank$

Former Member
0 Kudos

No issues Moazzam. I'm using the structured material functionality in SAP, as my client has recently implemented few components of IS retail. BOM can be exploded in the STO as a standard functionality in retail. let me know if you need any further details.

have you got any thoughts on my previouse query on delivery creation ?? 

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear

Thanks for explaining In Sale order we can group line items in one delivery but I am not sure about STO. I have to check this in system

Thank$

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mozzam, it seems this is not supported by standard SAP. btw what I'm trying to do now is to stop creating the delivery doc untill stock for all the components in the BOM is available. not sure whether you guys can help me with this

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear

I didnt work on BOM in sto so I am not able to comment on this. You can try to find some user exit for sto and ask your abaper to control this with some check in exit on save of sto.

Thanks

neeraj_lal
Contributor
0 Kudos

HI Rahul,

I was reading your conversation as it looks interesting to me.

For your question:

But my main issue at this stage is my users does not want to create the delivery for any of the component items in the BOM until all the components has stocks in hand and can fulfill the whole requirement. Im using the backorder processing logic to commit the full quantities for components in the schedule line. but still SAP creates deleveries for the available quantities irrespective of whether it is fully commited or not, only for the items which has stocks on hand. As I mentioned I need to stop this untill all the components has stocks (as per the ATP check) in hand.

I face this issue in my earlier project. SAP behaves different way for different delivery transaction. Like in my case I find, If we create delivery using VL04, sap will not create delivery if Components are not avaialble and delivery group is not compllete;  but using Vl01n allow to create delivery. Reason VL01n transaction is created for a person who is aware of delivery process and can take decision in case delivery groups are not complete......

There is SAP note which you can use to stop delivery creation in case of single front end delivery creeation transaction..... I do not rememeber note number but you can search sap support to find sap note to stop delivery in case of your transaction.... We implemented at that time thins note for VL01N and it worked.               I assume you are using VL10G...

Regards

neeraj_lal
Contributor
0 Kudos

Rahul..

As per my above reply, got the SAP Note# Note 546719 - FAQ: Delivery group and  BOM in the delivery.

Hope this will be helpful.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Neeraj, thanks for your feedback in relate to delivery creation of unfulfilled quantities.

I have achieved this requirement via a simple code change in one of the customized delivery BADI's.

Thanks once again.

Rahul

0 Kudos

Create Header Material i.e. Sales Set Bom Material in Non Stock........if you want pricing at header then assign Gen. item cat. grp " NLAG " & Item category group "ERLA"

Child item should be FERT.....with Gen. item cat. grp " Norm " & Item category group "Norm"

former_member184065
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear,

Create a BOM as  Material ( Main Material ) and Components ( Original Components ).

Settings : Main Material - S.Doc Type     Usage   Item Category Group   Item Category

OR                 -                LUMF                          TAP ( relevant Price )

Components  -S.Doc Type     Usage   Item Category Group   Item Category

OR                -                  NORM                      TAN ( relevant price )

Note : Price is depends on Item Category not on Item Category Group . So ,if you do above settings then you can accomplish your requirement .

If you have any doubts please let me know .

Thanks,

Naren

Former Member
0 Kudos

Once again , thanks for your attemp on helping me.

As mentioned before , I do not need to do pricing on the component level. so I dont think I can use TAN. But thats ok, I can even create my own item cat with the settings that I require by removing pricing indicator in item category.

But my concern is how to make my header material to behave as a non stock material in STO and delivery. Because my whole purpose is to do distribution activities only at component level and not at header level. If I make my header LUMF , still SAP expect my header to be able to manage inventory.

Kind regards, RS

former_member184065
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear,

First of all , I wanted to know exactly , how you are doing in your System .

ME21N ( UB )->VL10B->VL02N->MIGO->VF01 .

If Its Ok then I never do BOM Scenario to STO Process like especially above way .

What is the Purpose of Carrying the Values by Header Material ?

SAP recommends BOM as with LUMF and ERLA  not with another Item category Groups why because this are related to Item Category and the these are related to Schedule Line Categories .The settings will be changed totally .

Note :1. Please enlighten on this more info to understand .

If you want use Non- Stock Material then you should be use Item Category Group NLAG or some thing but not LUMF or ERLA . This is 100% sure .

2. I am confusing............on this .

Thanks,

Naren

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Rahul

I have similar requirement too. Can you share the material details? Like I have Air conditioner. There are two separate material for Indoor and Outdoor units and both are FERT. Now I am thinking to create Sales BOM. In my scenario Header material will not be relevant for inventory but only for pricing. Components will be FERT materials  and will be relevant for inventory but not pricing.

What are your products and scenario.

Thank$

former_member184065
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear,

You can achieve this by keeping Header Condition Types as Statistical . If you use LUMF Header Condition Types are Statistical and If it is ERLA these Condition Types will be act as Item Condition Types with Statistical .

I hope you understand my point here .

Note : We have to use Delivery related Pricing Procedure to achieve this .

Thanks,

Naren

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Naren,

sorry for the late reply. was busy setting up this scenario ..:)

TXN sequence/path is same as you have mentioned above, except I have my own Z document type.

What is the Purpose of Carrying the Values by Header Material ?

we have our franchise outlets and we need to offer them some promotional items as a bundle for a discounted price than they are ordered individually. So, I want to drive the pricing at header level (promotional price) for these bundles irrespective of what is their component prices are. but for our warehouse operations I need these sub items to operate as normal for picking, packing and shipping etc.   

hope this will give you some clarity of my requirememt.

thanks once again.

RS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear moazzam,

My scenario in high level is that, we have our franchise outlets and we need to offer them some promotional items as a bundle for a discounted price than they are ordered individually. So, I want to drive the pricing at header level (promotional price) for these bundles irrespective of what is their component prices are. but for our warehouse operations I need these sub items to operate as normal for picking, packing and shipping etcs

Can you share the material details ?

I'm not sure what material details you require. Anyway FYI

material type : HAWA (both header and sub items)

Header item cat : ERLA

Sub item cat : NORM

pleae let me know what other details you require in MMR. but I'm not sure to what extend my scenario is relevant for you.sounds like your materials are produced/ assembled in-house and hence, your header is a always a stock item where you confirn your production quantity on daily basis. may be im wrong.

thanks , Rahul.

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear

I have no issue with Sale price. It is working fine. The issue I am facing is that I need to transfer cost of sub items to main item in Billing document. I have done settings in copy control but still price is not transferring. I just want to know that what settings do I need in accounting views of main item and sub item and also should I tick Determine cost of both (main and sub item) item categories?

Thank$

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Rahul

Many thanks for sharing details. I got your point. The difference in our scenarios is that your header material is also delivery related, stock related and valuated material along with sub items. In my case I have Air Conditioner and its main item material is just a text item but I want price at main item level. Lets take an example. We have AC 1 Ton of Rs 50,000. Currently we split its price on excel sheet with formula 30% on Indoor unit and 70% on outdoor unit.

Problems with this process is

• Manual working on excel sheet to split prices.
  • Users can sell indoor or outdoor units separately and with this there is always problems in AC pairs (Indoors/outdoors).
  • In sale reports AC sales is always double and users have to divide it with 2 to get actual sale.

Now what is in my mind is to create Sales BOM with AC 1 Ton material which will act just as a text item but we will maintain price for this material Rs 50,000.

• Main item will be billing related but there will be no stock for this.
  • Sub items will be delivery related only and these are FERT materials produced in out in house plant.
  • In billing document cost price VPRS of both sub items will be transferred to main item.

I am working on this and will update here with solution. I will be thankful if Mr.   Comment on this process.

Thank$

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Moazzam, Rahul, Members,

If we look in to both the requirements, it is not so much about BOM but about the settings in Item categories & Schedule line categories.

Step1:

Main item:

Item category settings:

field Billing Relevance = A, field pricing = X, field Determine cost = activated (ticked)

Schedule line Allowed = activated

Schedule line category:

field Relevant for delivery = Blank, (by this the main item shall not feature in the delivery)

If not related to inventory or stock, then in the Schedule line category, fields Availability check, TOR = blank

Sub items:

Item category settings:

Billing relevance = Blank, field pricing = Blank, Determine cost = activated

Schedule line category settings:

field Relevant for delivery = activated,

fields Availability check, TOR = activated

Step2:

Is to assign the Schedule line categories to the appropriate Item categories.

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear TW sir

Thanks a lot for our valuable feedback. I had done the same and its working fine. Its about settings of item categories and schedule line category. I agree with you.

Thank$

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Moazzam,

Main item will be billing related but there will be no stock for this.

Could you please inform what settings you kept for the main item to make it not relevant for stock/ inventory?

Thank you, in advance!

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Sir

Currently I have no access to my system but I remember that I have used Item type A for main item category and assigned schedule line category CX to that item category. With this Item works as non stock item. User enter BOM material in sale order, Item category for main item is ZACM and schedule line is CX. When we create delivery this item ZACM gets copied in delivery. In PGI system issued only sub items ZACS. There is no stock no movement and no accounting entry for this item till now, But in billing document ZACM is copied and cost of all  ZACS is charged to this in VPRS condition. This is controlled in copy control you know.

My objective was achieved and I have tested this, Please let me know if there is anything wrong with this.

Thank$

former_member184555
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi MoazzaM,

When we create delivery this item ZACM gets copied in delivery. In PGI system issued only sub items ZACS.

Can you please explain in detail about the process implemented. Also, please clarify the below points.

Are you getting both main and sub-items in the delivery?

Which item (Main or sub-items) will be relevant for picking?

Which(main or sub-items) is the valuated stock in inventory?

The VPRS of which item (main or sub-items) is considered as cost?

Thanks,

Ravi Sankar

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Are you getting both main and sub-items in the delivery?

Which item (Main or sub-items) will be relevant for picking?

Which(main or sub-items) is the valuated stock in inventory?

The VPRS of which item (main or sub-items) is considered as cost?

Dear

I have already explained the process in my above post. What else you want to know? For your questions:

1. Yes I am getting both items in delivery but 601 movement is being posted only for sub items.
  2. No item is relevant for picking as we don't use WM.
  3. Sub item is valuated stock. Main item is working just as a text item.
  4. In billing document total of all sub item's cost is charged to main item.

Thank$

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Moazzam, Ravi,

Thank you for the details!

1. For me the Schedule line categories for main-item and sub-item would be different.

You have mentioned both items have the same schedule line category CX.

2. Why have the main item (a text item - 1 Ton AC) in the delivery document?

For Warehouse related activities, the text item is not required (it is also "irrelevant").

3.a.

Sub item is valuated stock. Main item is working just as a text item.

My earlier question was - how have you setup that Subitem would be valuated stock & Main item has nothing to do with inventory?

Can you please explain the configuration leading to this differentiation?

3.b.

Yes I am getting both items in delivery but 601 movement is being posted only for sub items

How system "knows" that movt. type 601 is to be done only for sub-items?

Message was edited by: Typewriter

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ravi,

Have you worked on this requirement?

What would be your comments to the questions (asked by you)?

Thank you, in advance!

former_member184555
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

TW,

Ravi,

Have you worked on this requirement?

What would be your comments to the questions (asked by you)?

I haven't worked on similar requirement. Initially I thought that the requirement is not very difficult as we need to make the header material non-deliverable but billable and similarly the sub-items to be deliverable and non-billable. Now I understand the complexity in this issue and getting so many questions in understanding the process. I agree with your above post and looking forward for clarifications from Moazzam.

I have one basic question. When the BOM is ERLA....how the inventory is maintained in the system...is it for the BOM main item or for the sub-items? If it is for the BOM main item...how the inventory gets adjusted when we do PGI for the sub-items?

Thanks in advance...

Ravi Sankar

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Sir

Schedule line for main item is CX and for sub item is CP.

Main item (1 Ton AC) is in delivery because I want it . There is no special reason. We dont use WM so I can run the cycle without copying Main item in delivery document but I had copied it just to see the complete set i.e. one main item and two sub items for every AC.

I think when you will test with assigning CX to main item and CP to sub items you will know the answer of your third question. Please test and let me know if you need more clarification.

Thank$

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ravi

I hope you got answers of your questions in my above post. I am not using ERLA or LUMF. I have my own item category group, my own item categories for main and sub item and my own BOM logic which is main item is billing relevance but not inventory relevant and sub items are inventory relevant but not billing relevant and in billing cost of sub items is being charged to main item.

Thank$

former_member184555
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

MoazzaM,

I hope you got answers of your questions in my above post. I am not using ERLA or LUMF. I have my own item category group, my own item categories for main and sub item and my own BOM logic

Honestly, I didn't get much from your posts. As this process is not standard SAP and everything is custom...there is nothing wrong in giving the step-by-step process. This will help many of the members here.

Thanks,

Ravi Sankar

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear

In my above posts I have already explained everything step by step. Have you tried to test this? Please do some testing and come with your findings.

We can give an idea and if you are familiar with item categories and its settings you can do this.

Thank$

former_member184555
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks MoazzaM. I understood the situation and hence I didn't respond to your earlier post. But, as the thread was refreshed today(without any new content)...I responded to your post. As suggested, I will try it in my system and refer your earlier posts for any clarifications. Still if required, I will post the questions here.

Regards,

Ravi Sankar

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Ravi

Sure. I would like if you do testing and update with your findings.

Thank$

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear TW

in wich transaction do you do this configuration?

Moazzam, Rahul, Members,

If we look in to both the requirements, it is not so much about BOM but about the settings in Item categories & Schedule line categories.

Step1:

Main item:

Item category settings:

field Billing Relevance = A, field pricing = X, field Determine cost = activated (ticked)

Schedule line category:

field Relevant for delivery = Blank, (by this the main item shall not feature in the delivery)

If not related to inventory or stock, then in the Schedule line category, fields Availability check, TOR = blank

Sub items:

Item category settings:

Schedule line category settings:

Step2:

Is to assign the Schedule line categories to the appropriate Item categories.

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Maria,

Transaction codes have been added to each step, please see below -

Step1:

Main item:

Item category settings: VOV7

Schedule line category: VOV6

Sub items:

Item category settings: VOV7

Schedule line category settings: VOV6

Step2:

Is to assign the Schedule line categories to the appropriate Item categories. VOV5

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Maria

Yes you are rigtht it is about settings in item catogires and schedule line categories but you know these main items and sub items works in sales BOM so thats why we are using the term BOM. In actual it is true that we need to play just with item categories and schedule line categories.

And thanls for sharing the settings again

Thank$

former_member184555
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As the BOM material is with Item category Group ERLA...the processing happens at header level. The BOM- parent will be relevant for delivery (item category TAQ). If the BOM is created with item category group LUMF...then it results in sub-item level processing and the components/child items will be relevant for delivery (item category TAN).

Thanks,

Ravi Sankar 

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Lakshmipathi and Ravi, I do highly appreciate your quick response at this critical stage of my project.

@ Lakshmipathi : I have created my own item category based on standard TAQ settings. As per your advice I just copied the same settings as TAX in to my customized item category and tried. but it is the same result. Any opinions please ...

@  Ravi : As I mentioned before I need to do only the pricing at header material level. my understanding is if I use LUMF I cannot do pricing at header level. Once again my requirement is to do all subsequent delivery activities such as picking , packing ,PGI etc, etc.at component level and just doing only pricing at header level. Header material is not relevant to distribution process at all and it is just a container to carry out the billing.

Please assist.

Thanks in advance.

RS.

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Try by changing the item category to TAX in Delivery Item Category determination.

G. Lakshmipathi