cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impact of check digit algorithm value in EAN category

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All ,

I have an EAN category VC (Velocity code (int. assignment possible)).

It has an internal and external number range assignment.

A.The current external number range assignment is as following

000000000000000001 - 000000000000499999.

B. The requirement is to change this number range as given below-

100000000000000000 - 49999999999999999.

Also the Check digit algorithm value maintained is 1(Standard EAN check digit algorithm).

But when I am changing the number range as per my requirement( as per point B) , the system gives an error message

"The EAN 100000000000000002 may not be assigned externally"

When i make the check digit algorithm field value blank , the system does not give the error message.

Please let me know the relationship between check digit algorithm value and number range assignment of EAN category.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

paul_gendreau
Contributor
0 Kudos

SPRO > Logistics - General  Material Master > Settings for Key Fields >International Article Numbers (EANs) >Define Number Ranges for EAN/UPCs

Before configuring EAN/UPC categories, you’ll specify the number ranges that will be used by your categories.

• Each EAN/UPC category may be assigned an internal number range and an external number range.
• Configured number ranges must not overlap.
• Number ranges are configured exclusive of check digit.   For example, a GTIN-12, which is 12 digits long when a check digit is included, will have a maximum number range that includes only 11 digits.

- Paul

-----------------------------

Paul Gendreau

SAP Retail Inc

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

I have found the cause of the issue for this error message WE216.

This happened because if we want to configure 14 digit EAN code , then we have to maintain number range of only 13 digit in SPRO. The last digit will be as per "check digit algorithm".

This is when you are going to use Check digit algorithm functionality.

If you are not using "Check digit algorithm functionality", then configure full 14 digits as system is simply going to accept whatever number you input.

Thanks.

Answers (0)