cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kernel and precompiler runtime dependancy

Former Member
0 Kudos

We plan to upgrade our Kernel 720_REL to the latest patch level available. We are on Maxdb 7.7.  I read in the faq notes that

1) Maxdb precompiler has dependancy with Kernel.

2) DB library dbadaslib or dbsdbslib also dependant on the version of the SAP maxdb precompiler runtime

Since precompiler is part of Maxdb client software and we are not looking to upgrade our DB now and so the client software as well. From Kernel upgrade standpoint, do we need to address any dependancies since the maxdb precompiler will remain the same. I can only imagine, with newer binaries and newer database interface libraries(dbadaslib or dbsdbslib) how will the precompiler adapt to the new kernel without any upgrade.

I have gone through note 578324 however cant comprehend the dependancy related information.Can any one address my query please.

Regards

Kalyan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

Hello Mr. Kalyan,

Please note that it is MANDATORY to update the SQLDBC runtime version to the minimum recommended version when you update your SAP Kernel release - to avoid any problems while applications communicate with database.

The SQLDBC runtime versions are used depending on the SAP release but independent of the SAP MaxDB core version.

Refer to SAP Note: 822239 - FAQ: SAP MaxDB interfaces (Section 14[F])

14. Which SQLDBC version is used in which SAP releases?

For SAP kernel Release 7.20 (incl. 7.20 EXT, NW 7.02, NW 7.03, NW
7.20, NW 7.3x)
The SQLDBC runtime versions required by the DBSL (dbsdbslib) are:
7.7.07 build 41 or higher all available platforms

How to Upgrade the SQLDBC runtime ?

• First stop the application server
  • Upgrade the SQLDBC runtime on all of your application servers.
  • Use Note 649814 to install or upgrade the SQLDBC runtime.
  • Restart the application server.

Let me know if you have any further questions

Regards,

Yashwanth

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kalyana,

The libraries dbadaslib and dbsdbslib are the database interfaces for the database-independent SAP database interface (DBI) that is specific to the SAP MaxDB. These DBSL libraries ensure that the SQL statements that are sent to the database are transferred in the correct syntax of the relevant database system.

Each of the database systems that are supported by SAP has its own database-specific DBSL library.

The DBSL library release (dbadaslib. dll or dbsdbslib.dll) must correspond to the SAP kernel release.

The library dbadaslib or dbsdbslib is part of the database-independent WebAS kernel package.In SAP systems, the SAP kernel determines which version of the precompiler software is used. Each SAP MaxDB client package therefore contains all of the Precompiler Runtimes or SQLDBC versions that are available.The library dbadaslib or dbsdbslib is dynamically linked to the pre-compilers.

Hence when you upgrade SAP kernel it has no implication on pre-compilers. But when you upgrade MaxDB s/w then its mandatory to update the client.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori