cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You must use SLES 11 SP 1 or higher

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear gurus,

I'm browsing to list of supported OS/DB in PAM, and come across this note when I click on SAP HANA DB 1.00 on AIX 7.1:

1)DB-Client Release for Application Server only
You must use SLES 11 SP 1 or higher to install and use SAP HANA database

So basically, it's said that it is supported on AIX, but then it said I must use SLES 11.

Could you tell me what this means?

Regards,

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Derek_Fox
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Lori

To interpret the ERP on HANA PAM, you have to understand the nature of ERP on HANA and the migration processes involved including the technical requirements.

Business scenaro:

You have an ERP 6 Enhancement Package 6 system running on IBM hardware with AIX as the operating system with DB2 as the database. And you wish to migrate to the ERP on HANA scenario.

It should be noted that the migration process is similar to the BW on HANA scenario.

The high level steps involved in a migration would be the following:

1. Sizing the existing ERP system for ERP on HANA

2. Procuring a SAP HANA appliance (preconfigured with SAP HANA and SLES 11 SP1) from a vendor, in this case, it may be IBM.

3. Upgrade the existing ERP 6 Enhancement Package 6 to ERP 6 Enhancement Package 6, Version for HANA (this would be the AIX environment with DB2)

4. Migrate the database from DB2 to SAP HANA

After the migration, the system landscape will be as follows:

The existing ERP server will still be running on the AIX operating system and the SAP HANA server will be running on the SLES 11 operating system.

More details on ERP on HANA:

http://help.sap.com/erp_hana616

https://cookbook.experiencesaphana.com/ (choose the ERP on HANA option)

Regards

Derek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Derek,

If that's the case, we'll have heterogenous system like this:

App run on AIX

DB run on HANA + SLES 11

Is that correct? What about licensing method? SAP on AIX and SAP on HANA license?

And how about overall system landscape? Must we also use SAP HANA appliance for SAP DEV & QA & IDES & Solution Manager instance? (for example, to support same licensing option with SAP Production - again I'm still confused about HANA licensing). That's a huge investment.

But then if we use SAP HANA e.g on DB2 database for non production environment, then our only option to adopt SAP HANA will be a heterogenous system (I don't know if heterogenous system is supported/recommended by SAP).

Regards,

Derek_Fox
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Lori

It is correct for a heterogenous system.

With regards to the overall landscape, it is preferred that DEV and QA also be on a SAP HANA appliance for consistancy across the environments for the ERP systems. SAP has changed the way in how SAP HANA is licenced for ERP on HANA, it is based on value (HANA Limited Runtime license) instead of actual usage based memory. More details on the licensing is available from your SAP Representative or SAP Partner.

For the DEV and QA systems, there is 2 options available:

1. Using a single HANA appliance, you can have the DEV and QA systems there (MCOS approach), see OSS note 1681092 - Multiple SAP HANA databases on one appliance
  2. Using virtualization to split the SAP HANA appliance, see OSS note 1788665 - SAP HANA running on VMware vSphere VMs

Unfortunately there is pro's and cons with each approach.

There is sessions planned for March/April/May 2013 for SAP Partners regarding ERP on HANA as then a lot more information will be available.

As to the IDES and Solution Manager enironments:

• Currently Solution Manager 7.1 is not yet supported on SAP HANA, therefore no need to change the existing system
  • As to putting IDES on HANA, personally I would not, unless you can justify the expense thereof and the benefit gained.

One has to do carefully planning and evaluation of one's requirements for the systems so that one can design the system landscape and justify the expense.

Regards

Derek

Message was edited by: Derek Fox

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Derek,

For IDES and Solution Manager, we use combination license of OS - Non HANA DB then?

So we need to buy two license for SAP on HANA, and SAP on Non HANA DB?

I wonder if customer would want that.

Regards,

Derek_Fox
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Lori

If a customer has the following systems, of which are licensed:

• ERP
  • IDES
  • Solution Manager

The change in licensing when switching to ERP on HANA, is the following

• ERP on HANA (includes the ERP and HANA license)
  • IDES (no change to the existing license)
  • Solution Manager (no change to the existing license)

Please check the SAPPartnerEdge portal (https://websmp208.sap-ag.de/~sapidp/011000358700000787082012E/), there is reference material regarding ERP on HANA licensing, however you should check with your SAP Account Executive the licensing anyway.

The ERP on HANA licensing includes the following:

• ERP License (for the ERP system)
  • HANA Limited Runtime license (for the SAP HANA appliance)

Regards

Derek

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

EdinaldoJr
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Crystal,

SAP HANA database for while works just with SLES 11 SP1.

I can install other components as SAP HANA Studio, SAP HANA Client and others OS, but the mais component as I've said just in SLES. Sorry.

Remember that SAP HANA installation should be done by HW partner certified.

Good luck.

Edinaldo Junior

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Edi,

Do you mean that PAM information is not valid and we should ignore?

Regards,

EdinaldoJr
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Crystal,

Sorry, I can't found where you can to viewed it.

To SAP HANA use the PAM 2.0.

https://websmp130.sap-ag.de/sap(bD1lbiZjPTAwMQ==)/support/pam/pam.html?smpsrv=https%3a%2f%2fwebsmp10...

In this link you have the evidence about the SLES 11 SP1.

Good Luck.

Edi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The product is "EHP6 FOR SAP ERP 6.0 ON HANA":

https://websmp130.sap-ag.de/sap(bD1lbiZjPTAwMQ==)/support/pam/pam.html?smpsrv=https%3a%2f%2fwebsmp10...

it is also stated that you can use database other than SAP HANA DB to use SAP on HANA.

So basically you can run SAP on HANA on AIX 7.1 and DB2 10.1.

Regards,

EdinaldoJr
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Crystal,

My information is rigth, SAP HANA DATABASE run only ( SLES 11 SP 1).
See the information " Additional information ":

DB-Client Release for Application Server only
You must use SLES 11 SP 1 or higher to install and use SAP HANA database

Crystal, SAP HANA Database will be the DATABASE for ECC application, it is a option, the application SAP ECC or SAP BW I can have in others SO connected with SAP HANA Database.

I can combine SAP ECC + any database certified by SAP¨, included the SAP HANA Database, see some examples:
SAP ECC EHP6 + DB2
SAP ECC EHP6 + SAP HANA Database

OK ?

Regards,

Edinaldo Junior

Former Member
0 Kudos

Edi,

Please check my question again. It's there, and I just want to clarify why SAP list SAP AIX 7.1 on SAP ERP 6.0 on HANA. If you said it's only supported on SLES, you won't see other OS in PAM. Yet, why in the additional information, SAP stated otherwise.

I'm speaking about ECC EhP6 on HANA, not basic ECC.

Here's my information for all of HANA users from "Administrator's Guide for SAP ERP 6.06, Version for SAP HANA":

It is possible to run SAP enhancement package 6 for SAP ERP 6.0, version for SAP

HANA on a non-SAP-HANA database. However, note that with this deployment

option you might not be able to benefit from all available optimizations.

EdinaldoJr
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Crystal,

Really this information in PAM is not so clear, but you need to understand SAP ECC EHP6 on top SAP HANA databse, you must install the SAP HANA database at SLES 11 SP1.

REgards,

Edinaldo Junior

EdinaldoJr
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Crystal,

Just as addition information providing more information for you understandble:

SAP enhancement package 6 for SAP ERP 6.0, version for SAP HANA.

This version was done to run in SAP HANA database.

SAP strongly recommend to use a SAP HANA database.

You can use a non-SAP HANA database you might not be able to benefit from all available optimizations.

In this case others SO are supporteds to host your database.

I hope answered your question.

Regards,

Edinaldo

nicholas_chang
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Lori,

if i understand you question well::

HANA DB only run on SLES 11 SP1 and above. However, in HANA landscape, even with standard installation, you need to have a standalone CI and standalone DB. Your standalone CI can run on any platform certified in PAM, eg: AIX, HP and etc, But your HANA DB must run only on SLES 11 SP1 and above.

Hope it clears your doubt.

Thanks,

Nicholas Chang