cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a COMPREHENSIVE MANUAL of the Logic Script for SAP BPC 10.0

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear SAP BPC Consultants,

I have been doing some research, looking for an up to date COMPREHENSIVE MANUAL of the Logic Script for SAP BPC 10.0 , but was unable to find one.

This is a bit strange, as usually every programming language has formal comprehensive manual books available.

Last year, I attended the BPC420 Collection. 96 course from SAP. The course material includes a chapter about Logic Script, however the information in that course is given in the form of examples rather than in that of a manual (which is obvious and acceptable, since it is part of a course). Still, I would have expected to be able to find a proper, up-to-date, comprehensive manual of that language, to no avail yet...

Is anyone familiar with an existence of such manual ?

Thank you all for your time.

Thanks,

Ron.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ron,

As far as I know, you will not find a "proper, up-to-date, comprehensive manual". In each SP some statements are changed. The help is not updated in time...

To my mind, the only way to completely understand the script logic behavior is to debug internal abap code of the script logic execution... Sorry!

B.R., Vadim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, Vadim,

Obviously, ABAP code is actually an even lower level of programming language than the Logic Script.

So, your view on it is that, we are expected to debug a lower level programming language in order to understand how to use a higher level one ...

I accept the argument that a manual cannot be re-issued / updated after each service pack. However, I would have still expected to find at least one such decent manual, even if not that up-to-date. The only document I found that comes close to a proper manual is the attached ...

Ron.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ron,

I'm looking also for a comprehensive manual for script logic, did you manage to find one?

Former Member
0 Kudos

As pointed out below Sheldon's guide is very good and most of it still applies.

Script Logic Primer

I just finished a series of blog posts that fills some gaps in the official documentation.

How to write dynamic BPC Script Logic

Sami

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Sami I find your blog posts helpful.

Regards,

Salvador

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ron,

The Sheldon's guide is still valid sometimes, sometimes - not.It contains a bit more info then help, but some specific issues are not covered.

An example of some bad practice from this guide:

*COMMIT

The *COMMIT statement instructs the saving of all new or changed records back to the database.

Example:

*WHEN

P_ACCT

*IS CE0004220

*REC (EXPRESSION = 22)

*ENDWHEN

*COMMIT

In the above example, a record that contains the account number CE0004220 is modified by setting its

value to 22.  This record is then posted into the database by the COMMIT statement.

Actually, using WHEN/REC/ENDWHEN you don't need to use COMMIT, because this loop do autocommit at the end. If you debug the script execution you will see it. The COMMIT can be used with MDX operators...

B.R. Vadim

arun_varghese
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vadim,

Your statement

" Actually, using WHEN/REC/ENDWHEN you don't need to use COMMIT, because this loop do autocommit at the end "

Is this applicable for MS version too?

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Arun,

I have no idea about BPC MS version, the script logic in MS version is significantly different from what we have in NW.

In NW version you can analyze the ABAP code for script execution and see what's going on in reality.

B.R. Vadim

cecilia_petersson2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Arun,

In MS, you don't have to use *COMMIT at the end of a *WHEN/*ENDWHEN section, but you would use it if you want to change the scope in the middle of the script. If you want to perform a calculation and then use the result in another calculation, you'd use *GO (a "soft" *COMMIT that doesn't post to the database and thus affects performance less). For example:

*WHEN ACCOUNT

*IS VOLUME

*REC(FACTOR=GET(ACCOUNT="PRICE"),ACCOUNT=REVENUE)

*ENDWHEN

*GO

*WHEN ACCOUNT

*IS REVENUE...

/Cecilia

former_member200327
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ron,

Sheldon't guide is still valid http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/e025fa8d-1c22-2e10-cd9f-c488c7eea....

Vadim is right that it's constantly updated, like all other parts of the product. So, it can't be an "up to date guide". For up to date info follow OSS Notes.

Gersh