cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching over Customer number range from external to internal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts

We have the following business situation. Our client would like to use existing external numbers for customers and migrate into new ECC. That means when we migrate customers from existing ECC to new ECC it should retain the same number. This is fine, we can migrate as it is all the customers and vendors to new ECC by defining external number range in new ECC. However, after the migration when new customer/vendor master created it should have the same number range interval but internal. Client expects that SAP to pick the unused number of the range. In current system the numbers are not in sequence and there are many gaps.

Example:

Number range: 10 - 99 - External

used number - 10, 11, 12.........21....45.....98

We migrate to new ECC as it is and the new ECC will have the customers with same numbers. After migration:

Number range: 10 - 99 - Internal

Client expects when we create new customer it should automatically assign the next available number. In the above example it should be 13.

I have tested in the sand box but when I switch over the number range from External to Internal system tries to assign first number i.e 10 and while saving XD01 it issues the error message "Account 10 already exists" Message no: F2007. This happens three times in XD01, but when I create customer in XD01 fourth time it assigns 13 and saved the master. That means until it gets the next available number it issues error message in XD01 while saving.

My query is - Is there any standard setting so that SAP automatically pics up the next available number?

May be it is possible to enhance the customer master user exit by using the FM NUMBER_GET_NEXT but would like to avoid enhancement. If there is no standard way of achieving this could you please suggest me which user ext of customer master to be used.

Thanks in Advance.

regards

Krishiv

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member184080
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

As far as I know, this is how standard SAP Behaves. When you convert the number range from ext to Internal and try to create customer system will start from number 01.

Since you don't want to go for enhancement I think one alternative,but, this may not be the right approach.

1. After migrating all the customers to new ECC, generate a report with the customers and missing sequence and give to user.

2. Ask user to use those numbers whenever they want to create new customers (You should still keep the external mark)

3. Once all gaps are filled, come back and make uncheck external.Now, go to status of the number range and give the last number you have used as current number.

4. Now on whenever user creates new customers it will take the sequence.

If your client is not ready for the above then, they have to compromise on missing numbers and you just maintain the last customer number as current number and make external to internal.

Hope your client will accept this solution.

@Experts : Please correct me if i am wrong.

All the best!!

Regards, Sai Krishna.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kesari

Thank you for you reply, we have suggest the client the same but does not want waste the missing number. It is OK for enhancement, so could any one suggest me which user exit of customer master is best suitable for this requirement.

Thanks and regards

Krishiv

former_member184080
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Check if the below one helps you?

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/7b/6eb2aa7aed44ea92ebb969e03081fb/frameset.htm

http://www.saptechnical.com/Tips/Others/NumberRange/Skip.htm

Most likely you have to use FM.But,I suggest you to talk to client again.

@Experts: Please let me know if any better solution for this.

Regards, Sai Krishna.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

We have implemented a BADI CUSTOMER_ADD_DATA and modified the method MODIFY_ACCOUNT_NUMBER. This full filled the requirement. The system used un-used numbers when number range switched from external to internal.

Regards

Krishiv

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for Sharing

Regards

Waseem

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Sai krishna ,, i have one doubt plz let me know

in sm56 we have done settings ( in given screen shot ) ok but what my doubt is SNRO WHAT WE DO ? WHAT IS THIS PURPOSE

jignesh_mehta3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Geetha,

Seach the forum with "Number Range Buffering" & you will understand the concept of Buffering in Number range intervals.

Thanks,

Jignesh Mehta

former_member184080
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Geetha,

SNRO is the place where you maintain the number ranges by specifying the number range object. For E.g. all SD related documents number range you will use object as RV_BELEG and maintain the number ranges.

As Jignesh mentioned, you can easily get lot of threads or documents if you search using Number range or Number range buffering.

Hope its clear to you now?

Regards, Sai Krishna.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Krishiv

For better clarity let me repeat as to what you have said

CUSTOMER DATA     OLD ECC  ( EXT)                 NEW ECC ( INT)

1                                     1                                      1

2                                     2                                      2

3                                     3                                      3

Now you have migrated all the existing say 1, 2 , 3 to New ECC and in system there is 1 , 2 , 3 already present .

Now after this for the account group you have classified an internal number range for which if you go ahead and create a new customer - it should come as 4 automatically as already 1, 2 , 3 are present is that what your requirement is

Also can you please share the below screenshot of number range

Former Member
0 Kudos

Also in continuation to the above mail

Please go to SNUM give number range object as Debitor and let us know if there is any buffer which is maintained

regards

waseem