Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between DB Export and Offline Database Backup

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

This is a conceptual Question.

I want more information on what is the difference between DB Export and Database Backup? Also, it would be helpful if you can provide me with some links to them where I can increase my knowledge regarding DB Export, why it is done and tell me some scenarios.

Thanks.

Anil

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anil,

I have no link for DB export for you, because you don't ask for a specific database. But if you like, you can read the export part of the System copy guide you can download from http://service.sap.com/instguides.

But may be a short description is enough:

DB Export:

A DB export exports only the structure and data from the database, but no index pages. Therefore you have to build the indexes during the import. This could be very CPU intensive if your tables are big.

DB Backup:

A backup is a copy of all used blocks/pages inside a database (in Oracle also unused blocks). This includes structures, data and indexes. When you restore it, only the blocks/pages were moved, no additional operations are necessary.

If you want to keep a small copy which is less release dependent than a backup, you should use a DB export (if you use R3load, you are also DB independent). If you want to have a copy of your database which could be restored quickly , you should use a DB backup.

Regards

Ralph Ganszky

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all!

You can tell me about, how can i backup, restore, attach database in SAP Bunsiness One?

Thanks and Rgds!

Answers (0)