cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTML5 App using ODATA from SAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can we create the HTML5 application using SUP 2.1.3 which can run the application on mobile web browsers?

Regards,

Shrikant.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member184221
Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes with SUP 2.2 - Rest API Applications

No with SUP 2.1.3

Yes with ordinary HTML5 applications or webpages which use Javascript to talk directly to OData. (With no SUP inbetween)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David,

My only requirement is to run the application on Mobile Web Browsers on any device.

So that i can minimize the native development efforts for multiple device platforms.

1. Is it possible?

2. What are Negative sides of it?

3. How can i do that & which version?

Regards,

Shrikant

soldner
Participant
0 Kudos

Have you thought about BSP with JQueryMobile?  John Moy has a good blog on this..

former_member184221
Contributor
0 Kudos

OK, If you want a browser based language that allows fontend control on most mobile and PC browsers than I would look at SAP UI5: http://scn.sap.com/community/developer-center/front-end

1. Is it possible - Yes

2. What are Negative sides of it? Online only, no Mobile functionality in bad signal areas.

3. How can i do that & which version? See  SAP UI5 Page

Have a look at this Blog for using SAP UI5 with Odata.

soldner
Participant
0 Kudos

Keep in mind that a program running on the mobile device, either HTML5 or Native, must get data and update data to their server -  using the internet!  So off-line just stores the data so it can be sent when it is back on-line.

SAP's UI5 or JQueryMoble.  These are just frameworks for HTML, CSS, and Javascript.  Sort of like using MACROs in ABAP.  Underneath it is still ABAP. 

Underneath the frameworks is just HTML5, CSS, and javascript.  And you can code a javascript app to run on or off-line. 

SAP uses JQueryMobile as one of their frameworks for mobile. See SAP Web Channel Experience Management Architecture Overview.

Using frameworks means you do not need to know a lot about HTML/CSS/Javascript.  The framworks encapsulate it for you.

Beware -  using the frameworks means you must have internet connections so it can load the fameworks.  If you don't then you will see the HTML with out the 'pretty'.  It you code all yourself with out framewords, then you have no downsides.

former_member184221
Contributor
0 Kudos

I was not saying that I agree with or even like HTML5 apps driven from web servers (I was just answering the question). I much prefer the Hybrid model (PhoneGap or HWC) where you can mix Native and HTML5/CSS3/JS/jQueryMobile together a delicious RAD soup. Mmmmm. Complete with on mobile databases. I live in a occassionally connected part of the world.

But I see that SUP 2.2 is now released, so it is possible todo HTML5 App's using SMP (SUP) and OData using the REST API applications.

soldner
Participant
0 Kudos

If my company would spend the money - I'd be a cool hybrid guy too!  But no, we are cheap - except if you are a bigwig...

Haven't coded a RESTfull app.  And I've been using BSP and JQMobile since we didn't own SUP.

Thanks for the follow, I will take some time exploring your site and posts.