cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to copy one catalog from one repository to another repository?

Former Member
0 Kudos

L.S.,

I would like to know what is the best solution to move a catalog from for example a staging environment to a production environment. We have done a lot of work on staging, but it isn’t a 100% copy from production anymore. So I guess archiving and unarchiving isn't an option?

Thank you in advance,

Dave Chong

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you all for your quick responses! It was really helpfull...

I'll start testing with the DataManager Export/Import mechanism.

Thanks again,

Regards,

Dave

martin_schffler
Participant
0 Kudos

Archiving / Unarchiving will completely overwrite the production repository with the copy from your staging system. If you are ok with this then this could be an option for you.

But as you are talking about catalogs I assume you don't want to move everything from the staging system to the production system but only selected datasets.

I see 3 possiblities:

1. If it is only a one time task then you could probably use the DataManager Export/Import mechanism although that is cumbersome.
  2. if it is a recurring task you could set up a syndication/import server combo and configure it correctly to do the right export/import.
  3. or you could rely on 3rd party solutions to this problem

Regards,

Martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dave,

I have the following question to get more understanding on your requirement, kindly respond:

• You want to move catalogs related data from Stag env. to Production environment?

Or

• You want to move schema/repository related changes from Stag env. to Prod. environment?

Thx/ -Tarun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Tarun,

We did a lot of work with building catalogs in our staging environment, so I would like to know the easiest way to move catalogs related data from our staging repository on our staging server, to our production environment.

In other words... We don't like to re-do all this work it in production...

I know that exporting from data manager on the 1 repository then importing into data manager could work, but maybe you know an easier way?

Thank you in advance,

Dave

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dave,

I would agree with Martin that you can do this either using Data Manager Export/Import feature or by using Syndication and Import Ports in Staging and Production environment respectively.

Moreover you will have to go for export and import only so that production data integrity is not compromised also. This way you will be able to update/create only those data records which are not there in Production system and hence it will also ensure that changes done in Production system are also not affected.

Please let us know in case of any concerns.

Thanks and Regards,

Ankush

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dave,

Thanks for quick response.

There are following ways to export/import data from one repository to another, as also suggest in below reply. I have explained them little bit to have the better understanding of the best solution, for which you asked.

1. Exporting/Import Data via Syndicator/Import Manager (Automatic/Manual)
  2. Exporting/Import data via DM (Manual)
  3. Archiving/Unarchiving repository (Automatic/Manual)
  4. Custom Solution/Third Party Solution

Solution for Table Specific Data Move:

As you said that you did a lot of work with building catalogs in your staging environment and now you want to move them from STAG to PROD environment. If my understanding is correct, you want to move specific table's data rather the complete repository from STAG to PROD environment.

As a best solution, you can configure a syndication map in STAG to export the desired data and an import map in PROD to import that data. You can configure this solution for Automatic/Manual both type of execution. From the future perspective also, whenever required, you can enhance the maps.

To make this export/import activity, a bit process oriented, you can configure it with MDM Workflows. With the help of workflow, dedicated user can be notified and data can be reviewed before importing into PROD.

Solution for Complete Data Move:

If you want to move your complete catalog data from STAG to PROD then the best solution is to archive the STAG repository and unarchive it in PROD environment. You can configure it for both type of execution: Automatic and Manual.

Other Solutions:

• Exporting and importing data via Data Manger will be bulky and time taking task. Every time, whenever you will load data, you will have to do the same configuration, as you can't save it in Data Manager.
  • You can also go with a custom solution or the third party solution, which might be cost effective and time taking to configure, development and setup.

Hope, it will help you.

Thx/ -Tarun