Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Servers status alerts?

former_member184512
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

We would like to get alerts when BOE servers hang in starting, stopping and stop mode.

In initial stage we have started using monitoring to get an alerts when servers goes into stop, but after upgrading BOE to sp4 p6 we got bunch of fake alerts. SAP recommended us not to use alerts in BOE sp4 p6. More over through alerts we dont get alerts when server hang at stopping mode.

So now we are looking for method where we will get an alerts to emails/ mobiles/inbox when ever servers hangs into starting/stopping/stop mode.

Even sap is not providing any solution to us after raising ticket also.

Please help us to find best method.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Toby_Johnston
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Regarding the fake alerts please see this note I have written on the problem.  It is a known issue:

1811399 - Alerts based on Watches that were triggered in the past re-appear in the alert inbox

http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1811399

Also, there is a bug where Server Running State metric cannot differentiate between starting and running states and will return 1 instead of 0.  This is why you aren't getting alerts when the server hangs on startup.  This problem is fixed in BI4.0 Support Pack 6.  The bug id is ADAPT01685525

You may use a watch to monitor when your BI4 server is not in running state.  For each server in your BI landscape create the following watch (or you could create a watch to monitoring the state of all servers by using an or in your watch logic)

NODENAME.ServerName$'Server Running State'==0

Then, set the throttling criteria such that you provide enough time for a server to restart before throwing an alert (for example: if Danger Rule evaluates to true for last 10 minutes then email administrator)

If you have further questions please let us know.

Sincerely,

Toby Johnston

SAP America, Inc.

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Mani

can you provide the logic that you used? As my requirement is to monitor the server status.

if a server goes down i need to be notified on off hours.

can you please share?

Toby_Johnston
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Mohammand

Did you look at the correct answer for this post? It contains the logic you need as well as the patch level you need to install in order to avoid the "gotchas"

Thanks

Toby

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi toby

can you share the link?

we are using 3.1 sp6

regards,
Muhammad

Toby_Johnston
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Muhammad,

The above information is regarding BI4.0.  If you are on XI 3.1 instead then you can refer to the example scripts on this website:

http://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/BOBJ/Enterprise+Monitoring+and+BusinessObjects+Enterprise+XI

Thanks

Toby

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Toby

is the monitoring probe purchaced with BO enterprise or its a separate component for monitoring?

where can i get the XI3_monitoring.zip file?

Toby_Johnston
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

It's a free sample script in XI 3.1

Download

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/409109ca-94f4-2b10-1f8e-dc3960c27...

In BI4.0 it's built into the product

Former Member
0 Kudos

Toby

Can you please share the steps to deploy the monitoring addon?

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

I've moved this discussion to the recommended space: http://scn.sap.com/community/bi-platform/remote-supportability

there are some resources, articles, documents of interest in this space.

Regards,

H

former_member202789
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi s j,

Although the requirement is to get a solution outside BO Product Suite to get alerts on server status change/malfunction, but i think first you need to dig into the reason behind server/service going in hanging state. You will not find any SDK samples for retrieving the list of services that are in hanging state. The server status can either ne SI_Alive = true or false and the same is retrievable.

Most probably the issue of getting fake alters/spam is also related to services hanging at start/stop sporadically.

To examine whether a service is really running or in stop/hang in start/hang in stop, you may run probes. So for example, if Interactive Analysis Probe is passed to true then it means all the services in the workflow i.e. CMS, Input, Web Intelligence Processing Server is responding. But with default probes, you will be able to keep a check on only on a few services.

~Animesh Kumar

former_member184512
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can some reply to my question and help me out please

swati_patil4
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Mani has explained the way they have achieved at thier client and he has given the process/logic for the same so that you could use and implement it.

To use BO SDKs you can refer withe Java or .NET SDKs and the below link is for SDK library    

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-27465

Thanks,

Swati

former_member182521
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi SJ,

Sorry for the delay in response.

To Answer (1) & (2)

Here you go for Server related information through SDK

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-6231

To Answer(3)

Described above and you need to develop your own logic

To Answer(4)

This is the sample snapshot as I dont have the image in hand, but did some paint work below

Regards,
Mani

former_member182521
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Suman,

I have worked with a similar kind of requirements sometime back for BO XI3.x. Though Monitoring is being already there in BO4.0, my client need a custom application which peridically monitors the BO servers and alert the administrators.

Our approach goes like this.

1. Extract the status of BO Servers peridically may be every 5 or 10 minutes based on the business criticality.You need to achieve this using SDK code.

2. Push the extracted status in to a database table (If you need history) may be in an .xml (If you only need snapshot)

3. create a custom application (Dashboard) which reads data from your table (or) xml which automatically refresh 5 mins (may be in sync with extraction code). If required you can use the email alert code as well.

We have sucessfully implemented this with huge benefits such as starting and stoping servers in the Dashboard , Tread analysis on server statuses,etc..

Just give a try and let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Mani

former_member184512
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Mani,

Thanks for such a great information.

Still I have few questions:

1. Do we get SDK code for this kind of issue in 4.0 sp4 p6?

2. If so on what name I need to search for it?

3.Do you have any document about process?

4. By any chance can you share dashboard model through this forum or through email in personal?

Really thanks for help.