cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confirmation about the field length in Proxy structure

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts ,

We have created a scenario for file to proxy .

In The proxy structure we have maintained a field of type "string" with the max length of 16 .

The issue that I am having is even if the field length is maintained as 16 , if the file sends the field with 32 character even those records also come in the proxy structure . I had a understanding that if the field length is 16 all remaining character has to be omitted .

Is there something i am missing ?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

At PI level it wont check .If you really need it then either you need to use substring fn in PI or target SAP system they need to handle in code to pick first 16 characters.

Regards

Venkat

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Venkat ,

does this implies that if by mistake the file contains the field value as50 by mistake , PI will sent 50 characters to target ?

What is the importance of max length in data type in this case ?

Former Member

Abhishek,

The use of the max lenght in this case would be the ABAp proxy structure generated by PI would create field lenght as 16 char & not 32 char. So the value sent by PI would be trucated at ABAp end.

if you would not define the max lenght , the proxy structure would not contain max lenght of the fiels & would take defalut lenght.

Regards,

Ashish

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abhishek,

You are not missing anything, but your understanding is wrong when you say that PI omitts the remaining characters if exceeds the defined lenght. PI will pass through the 32 chars to ECC via ABAP proxy.

It is truncated when it comes to ECC since the structure generated at the ECC backend has got field length as 16 & not 32.

Regards,

Ashish