cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle 11203 on RedHat6

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

I plan to do heterogenous system migration from HP-UX to RedHat for SAP ECC 6.0 (only ABAP).

I need to install Oracle 11203 on RedHat 6. Can you please help with the java installation? Must I use the SAP's JavaVirtual Machine (JVM) 1.4.2, named SAP JVM 4 ?

Can I use the default installed with OS :

java version "1.7.0_09-icedtea"

OpenJDK Runtime Environment (rhel-2.3.8.0.el6_4-x86_64)

OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.7-b01, mixed mode) ?

Thank you inadvance.

BR,

Ruzica

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ruzica,

Additionally you may refer SAP  Note 171356 - SAP software on Linux: Essential information. To understand pre-requisites of OS and DB before performing the installation.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Deepak, I've already read this Note and has the infor for SAP JVM the only supported java (IBM is not any more).

BR,

Ruzica

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ruzica,

Note 1172419 - Linux: Supported Java versions on the x86_64 platform has information on JRE version suitable for RHEL 6. You can download the same from IBM site.

As rightly mentioned by Sunny, since its only ABAP system you can go ahead with JRE else for JAVA system strictly you need to use JVM as per note 1172419.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ruzica,

The question is why do you want to use another JVM instead of SAPJVM? Do you have a specific reason? This is because it is recommended to use SAPJVM by the SAP ECC.

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Orkun,

I don't want to use another JVM. I was just wondering do I need to install and configure SAP JVM if we only use ABAP in ECC. And for the oracle installation is it ok to do with the JDK installed in RedHat.

BR,

Ruzica

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi again,

Technically it works, as the other guys noted over the message, but please notice that the contract message at the bottom of the note (Note 1172419 - Linux: Supported Java versions on the x86_64 platform). It informs that any technical issue occurs caused by IBM JDK, SAP will not support the issue.

Because of this reason, I suggest you to use SAPJVM on the productive environment. Additionally, SAPJVM updating regulary by SAP and does not require an additional effort, while applying the patch over the system.

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Orkun,

Tnx for you suggestions.

I'll configure the SAPJVM to be on a safe side.

BR,

Ruzica

Former Member
0 Kudos

You does not need any jvm/jre for ABAP only SAP systems, You may need jre to start installation process only.

Regards,

Roman

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Good Day Ruzica

I'll configure the SAPJVM to be on a safe side.

Why ?

Note 1172419 - Linux: Supported Java versions on the x86_64 platform

https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1172419Note 1496410 - Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.x: Installation and Upgrade

If you read the above notes properly they clearly mention when you need to use SAP JVM.

In your first message you have mentioned that you have an ABAP stack and will be using Oracle database.

Here is the excerpt from the note

J2EE based products from SAP need a stable and supported Java VM in order to run.

The only certified Java VM on Linux x86_64 for SAP NetWeaver 04 and 7.0 based products is the 1.4.2 version from SAP or from IBM.

If the ABAP stack is using the VMC feature then you can consider using SAP JVM but required for the database.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04s/helpdata/en/42/df8a715afb1631e10000000a1553f7/content.htm

Cheers

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

I missed that this is pure ABAP stack. So Roman is correct. No need to install JVM, except installation phase

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Could you check the title "Customers without a valid distributor support contract" in the note

Note 1172419 - Linux: Supported Java versions on the x86_64 platform

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Former Member
0 Kudos

The VMC feature does not require SAP JVM to be installed.

Regards,
Roman

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

I just had quick investigation about the SAP VMC functionality and you are absolutely right.

Thanks for the correction and heads-up.

Much appreciated.

Cheers

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've just installed Oracle 11.2.0.3 on RedHat6 !

What about the installation of the target system when I'll make the import for OS migration?

Then do I need JVM or the already installed jdk is enought?

Thank you in advance to all.

BR,

Ruzica

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you are trying to install ABAP based system whether it is new installation or system copy, you can work with already installed JVM. But if As Java is involved , you should SAPJVM only.

Thanks

Sunny

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Good Day

As you are planning to migrate the SAP system from HP-UX to RHEL 6, please read this SAP Note.

Note 1496410 - Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.x: Installation and Upgrade

This answers your question about the use of SAP JVM as well.

Good Luck

Cheers

RB

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Since it is ABAP only system, so, you can install Oracle with default JDK/JRE as well.

Please check below link as well for installation of SAP JVM.

https://scn.sap.com/thread/2119950

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Sunny.

So I'll not install SAPJVM if I don't need at this point.

BR,

Ruzica

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Right.

Thanks

Sunny