cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

maxdb runtime

Former Member
0 Kudos

Quick question guys. Is dbmsrv part of Maxdb database. I mean is this component needed for the functioning of the Maxdb at its core or is is just needed when we want to administer maxdb via DBM.  My understanding is Kernel is the key db process with maxdb and dbmsrv is needed only when maxdb is to be administered via DBM. We have dbmsrv process getting spawned only when accessing maxdb via DBM...whereas in another host we have a process as below

dbmsrv -sdbstarter XXX XXX A -DBMSHM XXXXX XXXXX SID S

and additional dbmsrv processes getting spawned when we connect to Maxdb via DBM. Does this mean there will be a dbmsrv process running by default. If so, could this be stopped and restarted in isolation with the db. I did not get this information from Maxdb help hence posting it here.

Regards

Kalyan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

Hello Mr.Kalyan,

Usually, the DBM server is not started explicitly by the user, rather it is started implicitly (for example) by the tool Database Manager CLI (DBMCLI) when the administrative DBM command is called. For example (dbm_*)

All the messages of the DBM server are contained in the log dbm.prt in the work directory (run directory). Error messages of the DBM server are also logged in the file dbmsrv_<computer_name>.err that is stored in the directory above the work directory (run directory) in the directory <GlobalDataPath>/wrk.

If you are a SAP customer - Refer to the Note: 1694323 - FAQ: SAP MaxDB remote SQL server and DBM server.

Regards,Yashwanth

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kalyana,

dbmsrv is the component running on the database machine, executing the commands of dbmcli,

DBMGUI and Web DBM. So dbmsrv is the program doing the work, dbmcli is just a front end.

To make it a little bit more complicated, dbmcli contains a statically linked in dbmsrv,

which is used via the -s option of dbmcli.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

Thank you for the response.

Would a dbmsrv process start at the time of database start or would it get spawned internally by the database kernel when a connection request is initiated from dbmcli,DBMGUI or Web DBM. Can you please help clarify. Reason why i ask is, i dont see a running dbmsrv process in some of our systems however when i initiate a DBM connection, it all works fine and i can see a dbmsrv process running during this time so just needed clarity with respect to the processes.

Regards

Kalyan

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kalyana,

dbmsrv is the program which actually does the work when any trigger happens from frontend tool dbmcli. When no operations are running, you should not see any dbmsrv process on the server.

Regards,

Deepak Kori