cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the SYS object type 'SPACE HEAD' in my tablespaces?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm busy with a reorg exercise (don't ask) and I've encountered something new. On tablespaces where I have previously converted RAWs to LOBS, there is an object owned by SYS with the type 'SPACE HEAD'. I have moved all the other objects to other tablespaces, but I can't drop the original tablespaces without FORCE - something I'm reluctant to do without advice.

I have Googled, searched SDN and SAPNet, with no success. Your advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Alan.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am tempted to think this maybe related to freelists and as such could be related to PCTFREE and PCTUSED. That still does not fully answer your question though.

RSB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks RSB. Looks like I'll have to open a SAP Message on this.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Alan,

I think you got your reply on the Message.

I'll reproduce it here so this thread can be closed.

As commented by Vinod, this object keeps track of allocated and free blocks in a LMTS tablespace.

This object is created when a tablespace is migrated from DMTS to LMTS using dbms_space_admin.tablespace_migrate_to_local().

SAP does not recommend the usage of this method to migrate from DMTS to LMTS tablespaces.

This object can be ignored if you want to drop the tablespace.

Regards

Fidel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Folks.

Thanks for the answers. SAP AG gave a me the answer that this happened because I converted an existing tablespace to LMTS. This is not the recommended approach: you are supposed to create a new tablespace and reorg the tables into that tablespace. This is a pain, but I understand the recommendation.

Regards,

Alan.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

what is the name of these objects?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eric,

In one TS it's named '233.5122' and in another it's '10.20' and so on.

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hmmm. sounds weird... perhaps you could create a temporary fake tablespace and move these objects in that fake tablespace? If this works, you can drop the TS now that it is empty.

By the way, I searched Oracle Metalink to no avail.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Eric. Anyone else?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You are using LMTs. This is the bitmap where oracle keeps track of allocated and free blocks (extents). There may be more than one per tablespace.

Regards

Vinod