SAP for Retail Discussions
Join conversations about personalization, omnichannel strategies, and operational excellence in retail using SAP for Retail software.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error while trying to create Generic Articles with variants using LSMW (ARTMAS05)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

While trying to create Generic Articles master using LSMW idoc ARTMAS05, I am getting an error message 'The generic article could not be created as a class'. I am trying to create 2 variants and have filled up the corresponding characteristics segment. I am able to do it manually using MM41.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Anmol

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

paul_gendreau
Contributor
0 Kudos

Help us to help you; please post an HTML export of the failed IDoc.

- Paul

---------------------------------

Paul Gendreau

SAP Retail, Inc.

View solution in original post

36 REPLIES 36

paul_gendreau
Contributor
0 Kudos

Help us to help you; please post an HTML export of the failed IDoc.

- Paul

---------------------------------

Paul Gendreau

SAP Retail, Inc.

0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

I've attached an XML. The forum does not allow HTML.

Regards

Anmol

0 Kudos

Hi Anmol:

The simple error message raised by the IDoc and displayed in T-Code WE02 is often either confusing or simply does not make sense 🙂

Please view the application log using T-Code MM90 and report the futher detail for the processing error of this IDoc.

0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

This is the error message I got in MM90 : MH050 The generic article could not be created as a class.

After invertigating a bit, I found that there is a class entry of type 026 created in KLAH table when generic article is created. This class is successfully created when I create the article using MM41. But when I use the idoc, the system is unable to create this class and that's the reason it is giving the error (I think so). But I'm unable to understand what should be the fix for this. Would I have to create the class first using idoc type CLSMAS.

Your views on this.

Thanks

Anmol

0 Kudos

In fact, I just created the class using CLMAS04 but still getting the same error for the generic articles.

-Anmol

0 Kudos
Hello Anmol:
You only need to post ARTMAS05.
The first thing I see is an error in:
E1BPE1AUSPRT                   Retail Data Transfer: Characteristic Value Assignment
You are maintaining E1BPE1AUSPRT-MATERIAL as A11000010001 (i.e. you are sending the Article Number of the Variant).
You should maintain E1BPE1AUSPRT-MATERIAL as A11000010 (i.e. please send the Article Number of the Generic).

- Paul

0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

It did not help. I had maintained this based on an SAP document with me 'Guide to Initial Data Transfer in mySAP Retail'.

The variants being created in E1BPE1VARKEY and their corresponding characteristics in  E1BPE1AUSPRT would correlate with each other based on the article number of the variant only.

- Anmol

0 Kudos

Hi Anmol:

I was incorrect and your IDoc is correct: the variant article number does belong in E1BPE1AUSPRT.

At this point you should go back to basics because the IDoc looks like it should process if the master data it depends on is maintained correctly. This is

especially true of the reference article, characteristic, and characteristic profile.

I'll send more detail later tonight when time permits.

- Paul

0 Kudos

Hi Anmol:

I will send you a document md_article_generic_lsmw.pdf via email if you provide an email address.  This document shows the creation of the master data and then processing the ARTMAS05 without error.

My guess is that some of the requisite master data is not in place in your system. 

In the document md_article_generic_lsmw.pdf you will see essentially the same ARTMAS05 processed without error and create the generic and two variants.

Overview of Steps

CT04 – Create Characteristic

Create HN_COLOURS

CT04 – Create Characteristic

Maintain values for HN_COLOURS

CLWE – Create Characteristic Profile

Create HN001

CLWE – Create Characteristic Profile

Assign Characteristic and make relevant for the creation of Variants.

WG21 – Create Merchandise Category

Create S14

WG22 – Change Merchandise Category

Change S14

Assign Characteristic Profile HN001

WG22 – Change Merchandise Category

Change S14

Create reference article.

This takes you to MM41 / MM42 to create or change the reference article.

Create reference article A11000011.

Maintain all views except Purchasing.

LSMW – Process ARTMAS05

See IDoc detail at end of document.

MM43 – Display Article

- Paul

--------------------------------------------

Paul Gendreau

SAP Retail, Inc.

0 Kudos

Thanks Paul. Please send me the document on anmolpuri12 @ gmail.com

- Anmol

0 Kudos

Thanks for the document Paul. It works now. The step of creating all the views of the reference article for the Merchandising Category was not complete. It fixed another error I was getting which was : 'Enter RP type' .

Regards

Anmol

0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

I ma trying to upload Generic Article but having lot of issues. I followed the steps suggested by you but still not able to post a successful idoc. getting error  "

The generic article could not be created as a class" . Not sure what can be reason.  Can you please share the document to create Generic Article using LSMW.

Email id: kewlnapster@rediffmail.com

Thanks for you help !!

~A

0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

Could you please send me the md_article_generic_lsmw.pdf. Currently i am developing the LSMW to load the Generic and variant articles. It will be in great help if you send the document. My email id is ursdeva@gmail.com.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Dhev M

0 Kudos

Hi Paul.

Could you please send the PDF you mentioned to my email id which is ravi.rajput86@gmail.com.

Thanks a ton !

0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

I am trying to create a generic article through the IDOC and i'm also getting the same error -"The Generic Article could not be created as a Class". The Basic Type that  i'm using is ARTMAS01 and the message type is ARTMAS. I saw the previous threads and i see that you have a remedy for this problem. could you please help me out by sending the PDF to the ID - aparna.krishnaswamy@sap.com.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,

AparnaKrishnaswamy

0 Kudos

Could you please send me md_article_generic_lsmw.pdf to cindyaimeesy@gmail.com

Thanks!

0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

Based on your document md_article_generic_lsmw.pdf I got the LSMW work. I can create Generic Articles with Variants, and the Variants work perfectly in Purchase Orders, Sales orders etc.

However, the Restrictions screen in MM42/MM43 where you limit the Characteristic values you want to use for variants is not filled by ARTMAS05. It is left blank.

Example:

Lets say I have a generic article for which I want to create variants for.

The Generic article is a shirt, that comes in different colors and sizes, so I have a Characteristic for colors and one for Sizes.

Both characteristics have a large number of possible values for colors and sizes but for my shirt I only want the colors GREEN and BLUE and only the Sizes MEDIUM and LARGE.

The ARTMAS creates the variants perfectly, but without the values in the restriction screen, the variants are not limited to tho colors and two sizes. Instead it shows a matrix covering all Colors and all sizes defined as possible values for the two Characteristics. That is quite an overwhelming number of checkboxes!

I would very much like to avoid this, i.e. I would like the ARTMAS to generate the values GREEN, BLUE, MEDIUM and LARGE as values for my characteristis in the restiction screen.

Now, the example in md_article_generic_lsmw.pdf does not show the restriction screen, so I cannot tell if it is supposed to be filled with the. The example also only have two possible values "Red" and "Blue" defined in CT04 which is a very "comfortably" low number of values, making the presentation of the variants very neat looking, showing only the two checkboxes for "Red" and "Blue".

Can you you please explain if ARTMAS05 is supposed to fill the restriction screen or not, i.e. am I missing something in my IDoc segments?

In another Document; Article Master Data of ERP Retail - Deep dive into some secrets by Bjorn Panter and Dr. Axel Woelke,  on page 20 they recommend to use the Restrictions screen in order to avoid to have "more than 1000 values on the x-axis and many, many values on the y-axis".

Therefor, I hope that the missing values on my restriction screen is due to a misunderstanding of my use of ARTMAS05 in LSMW.

0 Kudos

Hi Ole:

The document only covered the most simple case.   We could write a book about ARTMAS 🙂

To build the list of possible options, include E1BPE1AUSPRT segments for the Generic article number in addition to the Variant Article Numbers.

Let's imagine characteristic COLOR and possible values RED, GREEN, BLUE.

Let's also imagine characteristic SIZE and possible values SMALL, MEDIUM, LARGE.

To create Generic Article 1001 with the following variants:

1001001 Red, Small

1001002 Red, Large

You include E1BPE1AUSPRT segment for  1001001, COLOR, RED

You include E1BPE1AUSPRT segment for  1001002, COLOR, RED

You include E1BPE1AUSPRT segment for  1001001, SIZE, SMALL

You include E1BPE1AUSPRT segment for  1001002, COLOR, LARGE

You are already doing all of the above.

Now, to enable the possibility of Red, Medium, you will add segments for the generic article number:

You include E1BPE1AUSPRT segment for  1001, COLOR, RED

You include E1BPE1AUSPRT segment for  1001, SIZE, SMALL

You include E1BPE1AUSPRT segment for  1001, SIZE, MEDIUM

You include E1BPE1AUSPRT segment for  1001, SIZE, LARGE

- Paul

-------------------------------------

Paul R. Gendreau, Jr.

SAP Retail, Inc.

0 Kudos

Thanks Paul,  That was the exactly the information I was looking for! It works like a charm now!

I could add that the related E1BPE1AUSPRTX segment, need less instanses, because there need only be one per Characteristic, i.e. for Size, you need not define the E1BPE1AUSPRTX segment for SMALL, MEDIUM and LARGE. One with the value X is enough, like:

- E1BPE1AUSPRTX segment for  1001, COLOR, X

- E1BPE1AUSPRTX segment for  1001, SIZE, X

0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

I am trying to create a generic article through the IDOC and i'm also getting the same error -"The Generic Article could not be created as a Class". The Basic Type that  i'm using is ARTMAS01 and the message type is ARTMAS. I saw the previous threads and i see that you have a remedy for this problem. could you please help me out by sending the PDF to the ID - ponshankar@gmail.com.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,

P.P.Shankar.

0 Kudos

Hello Paul, I am working on IDOC LSMW and have the same problem. Could you please also send me the document "md_article_generic_lsmw.pdf"? My e-mail is redyhho@gmail.com Thank you so much! Best Regards

0 Kudos

I have sent it to you 🙂

Hope it's ok with you Paul

0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

can you please send me your md_article_generic_lsmw.pdf document to rene.ott@ososoft.de? I also get sometimes one of the errors mentioned in the other posts.

Thanky you very much in advance!!

Best regards,

René

0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

Will you please send me md_article_generic_lsmw.pdf.

my mail ID is manisharma7782@gmail.com.

Thanks

----

0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

I am working on the IDOC LSMW for a client. Can you please semd the PDF for md_article_generic_lsmw.pdf.

Email: anshude@gmail.com

Regards,

Anshu

0 Kudos

Hello Sir

I am writing one program to create material  using WRF_MATERIAL_MAINTAINDATA_RT  in IS RETAIL …it is working fine for single articles(attype = '0') and generic articles(attype = '1').But  I don’t know how to create variants(attype = '2') for the generic articles.which tables to populate to create variants of generic articles???

Kindly help me in this concern and give me sample code if possible..

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

I'm having the same problem, I've got this working before (creation of a generic article with variants through idoc) but I can't get it to work now, I've tried all variations with VARKEY and AUSPRT segments but i keep getting the MH050 error.

Can you please send me the document md_article_generic_lsmw.pdf you mentioned at:

marc.opdebeek @ mybrand.nl    (without spaces of course)

Thanks a lot in advance!

Best regards,

Marc.

0 Kudos

Hi SAP Gurus,

I am currrently having the issue , Generic article could not be created as a class".

Characteristics creation, value assignment, Char profile , characteristics assignment, relevant for variant selection, Merch. cat creation, char profile

assignment, MC ref article with all views except purchasing  - all done. Still  the same issue. I could see the reference of this document "md_article_generic_lsmw". Could you send to me, that would be of great help.

thirumalaikumar.muthusamy@gmail.com

Thank you in advance.

Regards

Thiru

0 Kudos

Hello Paul,

I am trying to create articles through IDOC LSMW and have questions.

Could you please send me the document "md_article_generic_lsmw" to this e-mail filipa.camara@exictos.com.

Thank you in advance.

Regards

0 Kudos

Dear Sir,

Can u plz provide me pdf of this.

I also want to create lsmw of generic articles.

We have use  shade  in numeric like red  = 0

blue = 1

green =2

multi color = 123

and size  as  medium = 38

large = 40

extra large = 42  etc

Please provide me  pdf of the genric article lsmw..

Thanks

Ayush jain

0 Kudos

You must provide an email address.

0 Kudos

Dear Sir,

My gmail id  is

jain.ayush4@gmail.com

Thanks

Ayush  jain

0 Kudos

Sorry, but your email address is protected by a SPAM service and I'm not inclined to click the link to become a "guest" of such a service.

0 Kudos

Sir U can try this mail.

wipra_luck4ever@yahoo.com

Thanks

Ayush Jain

0 Kudos

It is now no longer needed to request the document named md_article_generic_lsmw.pdf.

Please see the blog post Create Generic and Variants Using LSMW, which is the online replacement for that document.

- Paul

-------------------------------------

Paul R. Gendreau, Jr.

SAP Retail, Inc.

0 Kudos

For the S/4HANA version of this blog, see: Load Generic/Variant Articles in S/4HANA with LSMW

This new article (June 2021) explains the most common mistake made when attempting to create Generic/Variant Articles in data migration. It's all about understanding the functional use of ARTMAS IDoc segments.