Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deploying App using AFARIA

CRVMANISH
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I want to deploy SUP Android /I-Phone app using AFARIA, do we need to include any AFARIA libraries or code  in Android app.

We have done enrollment of device , what are the next steps to push app from Afaria.

Please Suggest.               

Regards

Manish

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

rakshit_doshi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Manish,

You need to create a session manager channel to send the application from the server directory to the Device and then for samsung devices you can use the application install policy to install the application in the background on the device.

The flow chart for Session manager channel is

Make a directory on the device sd card

send file from server directory to this directory

and then in the application policy there is an install application in which you give the path of the installation apk file and then it will install directly that application..

I am not sure about transferring the application for iOS as iOS does not support session manager channel.

Hope this helps,

Thanks,

CRVMANISH
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Rakshit,

Do we need to include any code or libraries in app for uploading it on AFARIA directory to distribute on devices.

Do you have any idea about taking AFARIA code and customizing it.

Any document would be very helpful.

Regards

Manish

rakshit_doshi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Manish,

You don't need to include any libraries.

When you are done creating your application you will automatically generate an .apk file if its an android application.

Take that application on the Afaria Server machine directory or any shared directory accessible by the Afaria server and then in the send file to client you give the path of the same application.

I didn't get your requirement for customizing the AFARIA code. Why do you want to do that,

If you just need to deploy this much is enough. A session manager channel to transfer the application and an application policy to install the application.

Hope this helps,

Thanks,

ParagJain
Participant
0 Kudos

How are app updates for custom apps pushed silently? For example I have installed version-a and would now like to have version-b updated in all devices in the background.

rakshit_doshi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Parag,

Supposingly you made an application X with version 1.0 on android. Now when you upgarde the version of the application, in android we have a android manifest.xml file where we change the version. Now you will save this apk file and import it to Afaria. Keep it in the same folder and run the session manager channel again. As soon as the application is deployed, the android OS will compare both the version and automatically upgrade the application. You dont have to do anything special with Afaria.

Hope this helps,

thanks,

ParagJain
Participant
0 Kudos

OK, thanks. One more scenario could be that the application needs to be deleted and re-installed (lets say the database structure has changed). Is that also possible via scripts ?

Regards,

Parag.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Parag,

The process for Upgrade on Android is it remove the old version and reinstall the new version.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

What i can understand from your requirement u need to deploy SUP Apps and Iphone .

2 method you can work.

1. Upload file directly on Afaria Enterprise Appstore and keep the option required

2. Or you can create Session manager send a apk file on device and create a configuration policy for samsung and you can install on device.

Note: Silent installation will be done only for samsung aes2 device for non aes device user need to manually install the application from Afaria Enterprise app store.

Afaria SSL Library.

1. Requirement for SSL libaray will be used if we need to set automatic server details configuration set and manage the application.

ParagJain
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Chetan. I need two options on Android (not iPhone).

Option 1 -  Update APK (not re-installed)

Option 2 - Delete old application and re-install (as we are creating a database on installation and in case database structure has changed, need APK to be re-installed).

I hope these two are possible. And, option 1 should ideally be silent (non Samsung device).

Have you tried these ?

Regards,

Parag.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Both the option are available in Afaria for AES (Samsung device)

1.Create a configuration policy for android .

2. Open Samsung  Aplication Policy

3. Create policy for Install/update/Delete in Samsung Application Install/Remove/Update Policy

4. For install policy u need to define the path of APK  eg(\sdcard\download\abc.apk . Note : you need to send the APK file on the device from server using session manager send file to client session.

5. Update : same as above need to specify the path of update file

6. Delete : Use the package name to delete the application from device

NOTE:   What i understand from the Behavior of Android for update function it remove the old version and install the new version.

ParagJain
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Chetan, will check and revert.