cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Refresh with Oracle upgrade

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone,

I am admist a system copy and need  db upgrade. We currently have oracle 10.2.0.2 and plan on moving to oracle 11.2.0.2. I must copy my Prodcution system to a test system. The production system is running on oracle 10.2.0.2 and the test system is on the same oracle level.

This is my method of execution.

Refresh Production on to test system.

Upgrade test system to oracle 11.2....

How do I go about making this change throughout the rest of the landscape (Ultimately I want oracle 11 on PRD).

Please Advise

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Nabil,

The methodology I would use is as follows (this is pretty high level):

On Test I would perform a system copy to get the PRD data, then upgrade oracle from 10.2.0.2 -> 10.2.0.5-> then to 11.2.0.2 with the newest SAP Bundle patchset, then upgrade the kernel to 7.20 assuming this is not done yet.  Once done and documented I would delete it and restore Oracle 10.2.0.2. I would then perform a system copy from PRD and keep it running 10.2.0.2 until the very end of your project.

On DEV I would make full backups (OS and DB)

Upgrade Oracle from 10.2.0.2 to 10.2.0.5

Upgrade Oracle from 10.2.0.5 to 11.2.0.2 (personally I would just go to 11.2.0.3 at this point)

Apply the newest SBP patch set for Oracle from the marketplace

If not done already take the opportunity to upgrade the SAP Kernel to 7.20

On QAS I would do the same as DEV, except at the end I would refresh from PRD and make sure that everything is still working correctly.

On PRD I would do the same as DEV.

I would leave Test alone and running your old system for referrence purposes for a little while just in case, then delete it after 30 days, or another time frame.

I hope this helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Yes this helps a great deal !

I am impressed with both reccommendations thank you both Robert and Vimal. I understand the logic clearly, however I will have to throw a massive curve ball. I did not mention the part that our PRD system needs to have EHP6 on our current ECC6.0 system. I am going to assume that I must perform the procedures outlined only with adding the support packs between each db upgrade. Still after documented in test would I need to restore system back to original db pactch level and software component version correct?

Thank you kindly

Nabil

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear  Nabil,

Please perform Export-import using sapinst from PRD to test system, bcoz Exp-imp is independent of OS & DB Platform:-

1)  First take  Export of PRD (assuming, in PRD you have oracle10g).

2) Then , while importing, System ask  which DB,kernel you want to import on. At this moment, browse path for oracle11g, new kernel. So , by this your test system will get PRD data and DB upgrade to 11g.

Thanks

Sumit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nabil,

We can perform as suggested by Robert...

As well as you can take perform one more way which seems to be bit easy too.

1. Copy the production system to the test system.

2.Take an export of your test system using SAPINST and see how much time it takes for export.

3. Create one more system and install oracle 11g and latest SBP Patches.

4.Import the test export in it.

5.Calculate the downtime required

Advantages of this method are.

1.Your DB will be re-organized. the Sizeof the DB in the target system  will be reduced compared to the source system with NO loss of data.

2.You can install latest oracle version with patches.

Either you can do as i suggested or Robert whichever suites to your landscape.

Thanks and Regards,

Vimal

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nabil,

Both the approaches mentioned by Robert and Vimal are good.I shall suggest you to go with Robert's method  due to following reasons

1) it will involve less downtime as compared to method defined by Vimal.

2) It will not involved any extra hardware as compared to method defined by Vimal where extra hardware  will be required.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Vimal,

Thank you for your response. it was refreshing to hear another approach. Unfortunately we have limited hardware to perform as suggested. I do appreciate response and will keep in mind for future if needed.

Regards,

Nabil