cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hook Tasks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can someone explain in simple terms what Hook Tasks are and in what scenarios do we use them.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member2987
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Gandalf.

You do not use them directly, they are part of the 7.2 Provisioning Framework and do the work of triggering the appropriate actions.

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

Yes, they are part of the SAP PF 7.2. I have it installed as I am trying to provision an ABAP system.

I know that we can assign a task to it as shown below.

To be more precise, I was going through this blog and couldnt understand the approach.

Thanks,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gandalf,

Don't pay attention to that, ID=*** are only Global Constant.

To privision SAP System you must focus on the tasks shown on the print screen.

In the Enterprise People you have configured as your default for you IDM portal, you must import the SAP Provisionning Framework.

It will create you all tasks needs (or almost all you need).

You can find what you need for provisioning SAP in default imported folder "Provisionning Framework" - "Connectors" - "ABAP Connectors" - "AS ABAP Tasks"

Don't forget to setup the task "Public task" / "Change the repository" / ...

I hope my answer helped, if not, don't hesitate to ask for more details.

Nicolas.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your response Nicolas.

I am still keen to hear from someone as to why the Hook Tasks are used. I understand in a normal vanilla implementation, there might not be a need to use it. But I still would like to know the purpose and how it works.

Matt gave a hint that it is used to trigger appropriate actions. But I am not able to relate to anything.

Thanks,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gandalf

The Hook tasks provide a standard task for doing an action, regardless of the repository.

For instance, to reset a password on a repository you can call its MX_HOOK_TASK8.  Doesn't matter the type, it will reset the password on the back end.

This stops you having to muck about with various subtasks and calls and gets you to:

For each repository containing the user

uProvision Hook Task 8

The password will be reset on each system in a manner appropriate to that system.

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

Thanks. This gives me a picture. I am just a new starter and need more understanding on the technical implementation.

SAP has provided lot of plug-ins to use. But if we have to make use of them, we have to use them via Hook Tasks (which internally takes care of setting the repository value).

In was going through your reply in another thread.

Peter Wass wrote:

Essentially, you want to modify the user data through a UI task.

Use this to trigger the appropriate hook task on each repository that the user is a member of.

The framework will do the rest.

The triggers can be done through subordinate tasks, attribute or entry type  triggers... 

For example, you can attach a task to the modification event of the MX_PASSWORD attribute to trigger the change password hook tasks.

Lets take example of a Password Change scenario. I want to change the password of a user in ERP, SRM and CRM ABAP systems.

For each of these repositories, I have assigned MX_HOOK_TASK8 = ChangePasswordOfABAPUser  in the Repository Constants.

I have one UI Task which is called "Modify User Password". This UI will show the User details along with the field to modify the password. When the user clicks on Save, this will update the MX_PASSWORD attribute in Identity Store.Below this UI task, I need to attach a pass which will inturn call the uProvision.

Can you please suggest on the type of PASS which I need to create and also the script which I need to use.

Looking at the documentation, I can see the syntax for calling this function is

uProvision(mskeyofPerson, taskToBeCalled, 0, 0, useridForAudit, delayInSeconds);

Should the repository be '0' as shown above and should the taskToBeCalled be a constant MX_HOOK_TASK8 ?

Please advise.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

Just to add few more points, I was going throught the config document and it states that we normally wouldn't need to change anything with the plug-ins. But in case, if we need to change it to suit our requirements , we can make a copy as shown below.

As you can see above, custom tasks have been created for AS JAVA actions (copying the standard plug-in). In the below screen, they show how these custom plug-in tasks have been reference in HOOK_TASKS.

If I were to create a user (AS JAVA), I would then go to the Entry Type "MX_PERSON" and under "Event Task" for Add , I would need to provide the custom task which was created above. I am not able to type in MX_HOOK_TASK. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,

Answers (0)