cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about German error in SimpleValueSet Inputfield

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have an application that I have developed that I have one issue with...

I created an SVSHelp field out of an InputField UI control and when I enter in proper values in the box (without using the help) everything works fine. If, however, I enter an incorrect value (one not in the list) and try to proceed to the next section I get an error message:

(value is the what was typed into the inputfield)

Der string "value" kommt nicht in der Menge der erlaubten Werte vor

I am trying to track down both where in the WD runtime this message may be kicked off and also if it's possible to display the English translation of the message rather than the German? I am perfectly fine with the application stopping on this Exception as it should be getting a proper value- I'd just like to give a better message to the user than this one.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

These validation message does not come from the Web Dynpro runtime but from the Java DDIC runtime.

Armin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is there a flag somewhere or something that gives the language these messages are in? Is there a way in code to translate the message to English?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dana,

Is this message is displayed for type from Local Dictionary or from Adaptive RFC model dictionary?

VS

Former Member
0 Kudos

The input field is bound to a string variable in the context.

I do eventually write the data out to a string field in a java dictionary project. I do not have a local dictionary data type bound to the field. Should I do that rather than binding to a string?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dana,

According to my understanding (or my German skills for this matter the message is that value entered is not permitted. So it seems that this is not a built-in string type (that has no restrictions at all) but rather some simple type (based on string) from either Local Dictionary or RFC dictionary. Most probably, this is type with enumeration.

If this is type from local dictionary and message displayed is in wrong locale then it's WD bug (discussed on forum previously). If it comes from RFC dictionary that it's probably your bug or missing translation on ABAP side.

Valery Silaev

SaM Solutions

http://www.sam-solutins.net

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is definitely a simple string type- I double checked the component controller's context and the view controller's context and they all map to type "string".

One thing I found interesting (and it was a while ago I developed this particular application- just finding this in testing) is that when I mapped the context variable directly between the component controller and the view controller I got a java exception with the line:

ISimpleModifiableType msType = attrInfo.getModifiableSimpleType();

The error referred to not being able to modify the context variable as it is not a modifiable type. So- I created an additional variable in the view controller's context and mapped the component controller's variable to that context variable. That seemed to correct the java exception but I wonder if it's in this manipulation that I've created this German-text error?

Former Member
0 Kudos

The error message means that the entered string "value" is not part of the value set of the attribute's type. So the attribute type seems to have a value set, either created at designtime or via the modifiable type API.

If this message appears always in German, you should open an OSS message.

Armin

Former Member
0 Kudos

<i>If this message appears always in German, you should open an OSS message.</i>

To check this, put the following in wdDoInit of view/component controller:

wdComponentAPI.getMessageManager().reportSuccess(
  "Current locale is: " + WDResourceHandler.getCurrentSessionLocale()
);

If you see non-German locale (anything that does not start with "de_") then this is a bug.

Valery Silaev

SaM Solutions

http://www.sam-solutions.net

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks. Since my locale shows up (as it should) as "en_US" I will go ahead and log an OSS note. When I get a response I will post it here in case anyone else encounters this problem in the future.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well- OSS is no help on this issue:

Hello Dana,

We at SAP primary support are only authorized to help on the issues

and errors arising out of the use of SAP products. But this

query deals with custom coding and thus cannot be processed further.

SDN is the correct forum for these issues. I hope you get a solution

there. Please close the message.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry, but this answer is nonsense. Just reopen the message and point out that Java DDIC validation messages do not appear in the correct language.

Armin

Former Member
0 Kudos

I just resubmitted it. I guess sometimes it's WHO picks up the message as to whether or not you get any help...

Thanks for the tip though. Still trying to figure out what problems I am introducing into these things vs stuff that is a problem on the SAP side...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Dana,

Please, reviews this note 977425.

Regards,

Patricio Arriagada

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you very much Patricio. I have forwarded the note on to my basis folks- if this fixes my problem I'll award you the full points. Thanks again!!

Answers (0)