cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database export - R3Load method

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello, I would like to know if there is a formula or something to determine the best number of export processes.

I'm running on a 2 CPU @800Mhz / 4Go RAM Tru64 system

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

2 processes by CPU...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pierre-Stéphane,

I personally think the previous poster is right with 2 processes per CPU for the export. But I like to give you my tow cents too.

All depends - that is probably not new to you.

I would start with 2 processes, but I would start more if the CPUs were not at 100%. You should also check your I/O subsystem if it has a shortage during the export. You'll not be able to further increase the CPU load if your I/O is the bottleneck. You should also write to disks you don't read from, to utilize the CPUs at their maximum.

To say it in easy words: When you increase the number of processes and the CPU utilization doesn't increase your have reached the maximum. But this maximum could depend on your hardware combination (not only on CPUs).

Best regards

Ralph Ganszky

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I tried yesterday with 3 processes by CPU, I think 2 will be better as I got a load average of 4 at the very beginning of the export. As the qantity of processes decreases quickly, it was not realy a problem.

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I use 2 export processes per CPU.