cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Runtime licensing question

nancy_budd
Participant
0 Kudos

I would like even more clarification, if I may, on this document: http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/70bd6328-4128-2d10-7882-d7b95418d..., found in this link:  http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-21575

Beginning with Page 5 and Application Redistribution.  I believe we will need to support both Client Applications and Server Applications.

We will write our reports in the Crystal Designer and distribute these reports to our customers.

We will create a Windows app (exe) created in VB.NET using the SAP Crystal Reports for Visual Studio developer.  It will use the the Crystal Reports methods and properties to render the report for our customers.  Depending on the customer, the Crystal runtime may be installed on a client machine or on a Terminal Server.

Based on the above document, it sounds like we will have a combination of both Client Application and Server Application.

It also sounds like for customers with a Client Application, there is no licensing required.  But, for the customers with a Server Application there will be licensing required.

What I am trying to determine is if we will need a runtime license for the Server Application?  And, if so, do we need to purchase the SAP Crystal Reports runtime server license (formerly Crystal Reports Developer Advantage) or an OEM contract?

Can someone please clarify and let me know prices?

Thank you.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Licensing questions are best answered by sales. Please give than a buzz; 866-681-3435. They will be able to help for sure.

- Ludek

Follow us on Twitter

Got Enhancement ideas? Try the SAP Idea Place

Share Your Knowledge in SCN Topic Spaces

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member368101
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hello AB,

the licensing rules have changed since this document was created in 2009.

You can find the latest version here:

http://www54.sap.com/solutions/sme/software/analytics/crystal-reports/implement/licensing.html

The main licensing rules are:

=> you would need to buy Crystal Reports 2011

• Thick-Client Applications for Internal or External Redistribution:
    When component engines are embedded into thick-client applications, they may be freely redistributed both internally and externally to third parties.

• Web Applications Developed for Internal Business Purposes:
    When component engines are embedded into Web applications used for internal business purposes, they may be freely redistributed internally only.

• Web Applications for External Redistribution:
    To externally redistribute Web applications with embedded component engines, the application developer must acquire a licensed copy of SAP Crystal Reports each time the application is deployed (installed) by a third party.                     
  • => You need to buy 1 copy of Crystal Reports 2011 for and on behalf of each customer. This is per customer, not per user.

• Web Applications for External Redistribution:
    Software-as-a-service deployments require an OEM license.

I hope this helps answering your question.

Best Regards,

Nic Nouvion
BusinessObjects + Crystal Solutions Partner Manager UKI & Nordics

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nic, can you then clarify why this page  http://www54.sap.com/solution/sme/software/analytics/crystal-visual-studio/implement/licensing.html says

>>>

Reporting for server applications:

A server application allows more than one user to access the reporting engine either directly or indirectly through any middle-tier application. You are free to embed the runtime engine with server applications that are deployed internally, and use it in connection with the licensee's business, at no additional charge.

Server-based applications that are redistributed require additional licensing as defined through our redistribution model. Under this model, if you wish to redistribute a server-based application that embeds the runtime engine to third parties, you will need to purchase a licensed copy of SAP Crystal Reports each time your application is deployed.

For even more licensing and use rights details, refer to the SAP Software Use Rights and End-User Licensing Agreement (EULA) documents.

<<<

Which matches your statement above, while this page http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-29545 (updated in Jun 2012) and the document here https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/index?rid=/library/uuid/70bd6328-4128-2d10-7882-d7b95418dbaa&overrid... say only registration of the application with SAP is required.

>>>

Reporting for Server Applications

A server application allows more than one user to access the reporting engine either directly or indirectly through any middle tier application.

You are free to deploy server applications that embed the runtime engine internally within your organization at no additional charge.

To deploy server applications to third parties, written authorization from SAP is required. You can get authorization by registering your application online at no extra cost.

<<<

Regards

Andrew

Former Member
0 Kudos

Within that document http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-21575 it lists slightly different requirements for "SAP Crystal Reports for Visual Studio" than for "SAP Crystal Reports included with Visual Studio 2008" or earlier. It's not very clear to me which is which, any ideas?

The doc says: 

===

"SAP Crystal Reports 2008, SAP Crystal Reports for Eclipse, and SAP Crystal Reports for Visual Studio"

This section applies to:

 .Net applications that include Crystal Reports 2008 for Visual Studio runtime engine.

 .Net applications that include the Crystal Reports for Visual Studio runtime engine

 Java applications that include the Crystal Reports for Eclipse runtime engine.

===

"SAP Crystal Reports included with Visual Studio 2008"

This section defines rules that govern redistribution of software that embeds the Crystal Reports runtime engine in the free version of Crystal Reports included with Visual Studio 2008 and prior. This product is only included in Visual Studio Professional Edition and higher.

====

If you can work out which one applies, then the requirements are as follows. It looks better if the latter one applies.

For "SAP Crystal Reports for Visual Studio"

"Server Application" and "Resold to 3rd parties (redistributed)" use means:

- "Requires the application developer to acquire a copy of Crystal Report for each 3rd party deployment (installation) or an OEM contract."

For "SAP Crystal Reports included with Visual Studio 2008"

"Server Application" and "External Deployment" use means

- "Registration required here" https://www.sap.com/solutions/sap-crystal-solutions/productregistration/index.epx?kNtBzmUK9zU

===

Anyone have any idea what the distinction between those two versions of Crystal is?

Also when it says "Requires the application developer to acquire a copy of Crystal Report for each..." what product does the developer actually have to purchase?

thanks,

Rory

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Please call sales for an clarification of licensing terms; 866-681-3435

Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow us on Twitter

Got Enhancement ideas? Try the SAP Idea Place

Share Your Knowledge in SCN Topic Spaces

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Ludek

I realise this is not your area but what I (and I imagine the others) are looking for is written clarification from SAP to these specific questions.

It seems we all have related questions and it would be good to get a public response rather than each of us having to go through this exercise individually with a salesperson over the phone.  Can you get someone from Sales to respond in this forum or is there another forum in which to raise these queries?

Regards

Andrew

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sales does not monitor this forum. I think your idea is excellent and suggesting to sales that they create a doc / info on this when you talk to them is all I can do...

- Ludek