cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New install ERP2005 -> Java SDK 32bit or 64bit?

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are about to install our ERP 2005 system after a major RAID5 problem with our discs.

Now I saw that for the previous installation an 32bit version of JAVA SDK was used on our 64bit hardware server system.

For a portal I installed recently I found an 64bit version of JAVA on the sun site via

a sapnote (which I cannot remember directly). (j2sdk-1_4_2_13-windows-amd64.exe)

Is it best to use the 64bit version of JAVA SDK or is it best to stick with the 32bit version for our 64bit hardware?

Can somebody shed a light on this issue/question?

Thank you for replying.

PS Points will be rewarded for helpfull answers!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

desiree_matas
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tom

As far as I know the main difference is the memory handling. With a 64bit architecture you are not so limited as with 32 bit. But I guess you can find quite a lot of documentation on this in the Sun and Microsoft websites.

Regards,

Désiré

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok thank you very much Desiree.

Br,

Tom.

desiree_matas
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi again

As per note 716604, which is valid for windows 64 bits (x86 and itanium):

-> For Windows and Solaris x86 (64 bit) the SDK is available solely for SAP

and its customers. On Windows it can be used starting with NW04 SR1. In note 941595 it is described how to get this SDK.

-> You can find the Windows 64-bit Itanium SDK on the Sun website. The link is: http://java.sun.com/products/archive/j2se/1.4.2/

Regards,

Désiré

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Desiree,

Thank you for your helpfull answer.

Are you aware of any differences of usage between the 32bit version and the 64bit version?

Our previous system was installed with a 32bit version of Java on a 64bit windows server + hardware + oracle.

I'm more searching for technical differences/issues if you know what I mean.

Best regards,

Tom.

PS. I rewarded you your deserved points.

desiree_matas
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Tom

Can you please indicate what is your operating system? For every combination (operating system, database, SAP Web Application server...) different recommendations exist. There are also special SDK versions for SAP customers.

Regards,

Désiré

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Desiree,

We use Windows 2003 Server Standard 64x Bit version with 8Gb RAM, with Oracle 10 as db also 64bit install.

Hope this is enough information for you.

If not please indicate what else of info that you require.

Thank you for your feedback.

Br,

Tom.