SAP for Public Sector Discussions
Foster conversations about citizen engagement, resource optimization, and service delivery improvements in the public sector using SAP.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Year End Closing Best Practice for Grants Management

otunde
Explorer
0 Kudos

I have gone through the SAP website and searched online to find out if there are any best practice procedures for year end closing of Grants Management (Grantee) but I have found none.

While Funds Management has this process well documented it is not the same for Grants Management.

I am looking for a way to ensure my clients are able to move residual funds from the previous year to the new year, but there is no way to transfer commited funds in Grants Management.

Please I would appreciate insights if  there any way that this can be done.

4 REPLIES 4

sjajodia
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

In SAP's logic, as grants are considered multi-year structures a closing process is not considered necessary in GM. If you have set up your grants as annual structures you will have issues as you will need to reduce funds in the Sending grant and increase funds in the receiving grant as a grant-to-grant transfer is also not supported.

Thanks

Shyam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mike

We have the same issue and SAP gives no assistance.

At our site GM and FM are integrated and we use released GM budget.The Grant timeslices are annual year which corresponds with FM annual budgets. GM approach to timeframes is different from FM approach in SAP, but it is still annoying that as Shyam says, GM transfers are limited. We got errors even transferring within a Grant.

Released GM budget is transferred to FM in the standard SAP process. We want to identify the transferred residual budget.

So far the only process we can see to transfer GM budgets between yearly budgeting time slices is:

• reduce the released GM budget in the current year .Using process 'return' . The budget reduction is transferred to FM. (I anticipate budget issues here!!)
  • reduce the unreleased GM budget
  • perform FM carry forward (GM residual budget is now not included)
  • add residual budget to new GM year using supplement (Grant time slice)
  • release GM budget in new year

We have not yet tested this, and it is for sure not a very popular process with the accountants who are used to the FM carry forward functions. But we don't see an alternative so far.

Interested in your views also!

0 Kudos

Hi Ellen,

I think I'll like to give the above process a try on our test client.

What I had in mind was to use steps 1, 2, 4 and 5 leaving out step 3.

The way to avoid the budget issues would be to ensure that the available (unconsumed/uncommitted) amount  from the FM end is what is returned in GM. For us, we have an additional issue here because our Grants currencies are different from the local currency in FM. So the issue of accurate currency conversion arises.

My concern here is that if you perform FM carry forward,it wont affect GM. Do you think if the commitments are now posted in the new fiscal year, while its updated in FM in 2013, what will happen at the GM end?

0 Kudos

Hi Ellen/Mike:

If your issue is about extending Grant validity period i-e the original time slice for which grant was valid is 01.01.2013 to 31.12.2013 and now there is some budget left over in it and i want to make use of the residual budget in year 2014 then please activate and use business function PSM_GMGTE_CI_2 . This will enable you to extend your budget time slice .I have tested it and it worked for me,

Regards