Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relation SAP EHS / SAP EHS Component Extension 3.0

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear all

based on result of discussion in http://scn.sap.com/thread/3305944 I would like to dig deeper in SAP EHS Component Extension (abbreviated in this thread as EHSM) to understand this application better.

Based on explanation of Mahesh in the thread as mentioned above:

Usually in 'Product Safety' the MSDS output of the Substance will be stored in DMS (whether its from WWI or Vendor MSDS upload as PDF or Word format) therefore the documents (output of PDF or word MSDS) assigned to the substance will automatically be attached to the chemical object. This automate to EHSM will happen using:

R_EHFND_FILL_CHM_BY_EHS_SUBST (as a source for the chemical agent)

R_EHFND_FILL_REGL_BY_EHS_SUBST (as a source for the listed substance and its OEL in the regulatory list)

First some statements

Using some configuration etc. there is the option to transfer data from SAH EHS to SAP EHSM including e.g. MSDS using the above mentioned reports. This configuration seems to be very flexible but starts from hitlist in EHS

Question:

1.) the location is located somethere (e.g. in France); therefore I assume that is possible by configuration to make available on location level only a MSDS which is valid in France. Correct?

2.) I assume by doing the configuration properly only documents of type "released" will show up in EHSM. Correct ?

3.) Normally in EHS you have only a "raw report" in context of MSDS ant not the final report (e.g. sales org etc.). I assume that you can only "attach" to the location the raw report and not the final one (not talking about raw material supplier MSDS which are handled normally using pdf files). Correct?

4.) There is no option to use a "query" in EHS  to start the process of data tarnsfer dynamical. Only hitlist is supported. Correct?

5.) Is there the option to handle more than "MSDS" on location level? e.g. MSDS and SOP? The SAP help does not explain that.

C.B.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi C.B,

Here are my answers,

1.) the location is located somethere (e.g. in France); therefore I assume that is possible by configuration to make available on location level only a MSDS which is valid in France. Correct?

There is no such specific configurations in EHSM to MSDS make available on location level.

2.) I assume by doing the configuration properly only documents of type "released" will show up in EHSM. Correct ?

Yes

3.) Normally in EHS you have only a "raw report" in context of MSDS ant not the final report (e.g. sales org etc.). I assume that you can only "attach" to the location the raw report and not the final one (not talking about raw material supplier MSDS which are handled normally using pdf files). Correct?

You can attach any type of released MSDS report (PDF or word) in EHSM.

4.) There is no option to use a "query" in EHS  to start the process of data tarnsfer dynamical. Only hitlist is supported. Correct?

Not sure. (sap can help on more to clarify)

5.) Is there the option to handle more than "MSDS" on location level? e.g. MSDS and SOP? The SAP help does not explain that.

Not sure. However in EHSM, the substance would reflect only one MSDS to reference for OEL business functions. (sap can help on more to clarify)

Thanks

Mahes

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Mahes

some further questions (many thanks for your hints/support etc. so far) are needed.

Can you try to explain to me how the reports (MSDS) are "managed" on chemical agent level?

E.g. you can have a MSDS for US, FR, etc. in SAP EHS core this is represented by a combination of generation variant, language and version. How is this "managed" in EHSM?

Regarding your last hint

"Not sure. However in EHSM, the substance would reflect only one MSDS to reference for OEL business functions. "

I still have doubt that i understand the topic. Let's try it again:

As mentioned you can have location in "countries". Now if the location is in France only french OELs are of interest etc. Therefore a MSDS valid in france does show other OELs in comparison to a MSDS valid in italy.

I stil have problems to get the "big picture." A Chemical agent can be used in france and in italy. Only the "relation" to the "location" you have the "link" which OEL is of interest. And still try to understand, how this link is done/maintained/updated

Therefore I have problem in understanding your explanation "the substance would reflect only one MSDS to reference for OEL " because in real life this is not the case (e.g. you can handle methanol in france and in US; but OELs in these countries are different)

I hope once again that you can help me to understand the use of "chemical agent" and "location" to handl such situations.

Thanks in advance

C.B.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi C.B,

I am sharing the information of EHSM that what I have explored so far in these areas of interest.

Let discuss with your points one by one:

Can you try to explain to me how the reports (MSDS) are "managed" on chemical agent level?

In EHSM, the functionality of EHS core such as ‘chemical agent or hazard, work area or location’ is same being used in the risk assessment. But, additionally this functionality is well enhanced with ‘Assessment steps & Hazard & control measures’ in EHSM. However, the OEL business function is well elaborated which are coming under RA in EHSM now and earlier it was maintained under ‘product safety / specification / property tree’ in EHS core.

In EHS core, we would give input of ‘OEL reference value / info’ in property tree of such chemical agent this would get reflected in MSDS. But, in EHSM it is a separate elaborated functionality where we have to give all OEL with related info of such chemical agent also there is no connection with ‘specification / property tree’ therefore we are referring the MSDS of such chemical agent where the existing OEL details was maintained. These automate transfer normally happens using:

R_EHFND_FILL_CHM_BY_EHS_SUBST (as a source for the chemical agent)

R_EHFND_FILL_REGL_BY_EHS_SUBST (as a source for the listed substance and its OEL in the regulatory list)

Hence there is no combination of generation variant, language and version in EHSM, only referring / attaching ‘released’ the MSDS.

As mentioned you can have location in "countries". Now if the location is in France only french OELs are of interest etc. Therefore a MSDS valid in france does show other OELs in comparison to a MSDS valid in Italy?

Either

." A Chemical agent can be used in france and in italy. Only the "relation" to the "location" you have the "link" which OEL is of interest. And still try to understand, how this link is done/maintained/updated?

In fact, you can work with these ‘chemical agent OEL’ for different countries by referring specific language dependant MSDS in EHSM but I am not sure whether you can compare OEL in between two countries for same chemical agent since we are using the same hierarchy of work area / location and it can be linked internally which OEL is of interest.

Therefore I have problem in understanding your explanation "the substance would reflect only one MSDS to reference for OEL " because in real life this is not the case (e.g. you can handle methanol in france and in US; but OELs in these countries are different)?

I too agree. But in EHSM, we are following the EHS core hierarchy of work area such as plant, location, equipment etc., on company /country level therefore OEL functions will be managed at plant level.

For eg., As you said, Methanol will be handled in France & US but OEL’s in these countries are different (Yes, right). In fact, you are maintaining the OEL details at plant/location level only in EHSM and attaching country specific language dependant MSDS....that’s all.

Still, I hope this would give a some idea on ‘Chemical agent & Location’ situation is handled in EHSM.

Thanks

Mahes

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Mahes

thanks for your advice/help/hints. I believe I understand now better the management of location and chemical agent in EHSM.

C.B.

Answers (0)