cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to trigger a Job on R/3 from PI?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Friends,

For my project purpose I need have a simple file to file scenario to create in PI,but once it send the file at R/3 end a job need to triggered automatically on R/3.Is it possible just to trigger a job from PI? in this case,I am not going to deal with the outcome of the job.

Thanks for your help !

Regards,

Sambaran

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can start a program in your SAP system from PI, that is the design of the RFC interface.

Use the File Sender and RFC Receiver.

Rather than creating File to File, just go File to RFC. This would give you good end to end monitoring of the process. Why send the data back out to the file system if you don't have to?

There are many examples of this, but your SAP Function must be ready to accept the data. When you have the function defined in SAP then you import its interface details to PI. That is what you map to from the File layout.

Riyaz has a nice introduction to the RFC interface for both sending and receiving with SAP:

http://www.riyaz.net/sap/understanding-the-rfc-adapter/42/

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Aaron,

You are correct, we should build File to RFC or File to Proxy interface is the best option.

But for some situation like in my client, they have 100's of file interface in ECC and PI was introduced much later, so to convert each program to RFC/BAPI from Batch program might be too much costly & time consuming.

So fast track PI conversion from unix scripts was to trigger batch jobs from PI was the only option.

And second point is many time business team want to load file manually for month end closing, so instead of dule maintaince of code i.e SE38 for users and SE37 for PI , it is beast PI submit batch job.

regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Thanks for your informations.

The requirements are as follows :

1.I need to trigger the job once the file is posted in ECC. Is it possible using only File to RFC? if yes,then how? could you please elaborate?

2.In case of file mismatch,I need to store the error message in a table defined in ECC.How can I do it?

Thanks for the info !

Regards,

Sambaran

Former Member
0 Kudos

u can try one of below. We are following both in our PI & ECC system since last 3+ years.

*First option is File to Proxy, in Proxy i can drop file and submit batch job or event trigger in ECC to start batch job.

*Second option is drop file and trigger even using script, script can be triggered from File OS command option.

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sambaran,

Divude your requirement in to two parts

1)Transfer file from FTP to SAP R/3 develop one interface(File to File/File to ABAP Proxy).

2)Executing jobs.

Take help from ABAPer and find out possiblity to run job one by one, very much possible. executing jobs using  PI is not recommended, if you achive that using PI then it is not gonna be a stable because interface failures creates problem.

Regards,

Raj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunil,

I need to run the job one by one, so can I synchronise everything from the PI end? is it possible?

Thanks for the reply !

Regards,

Sambaran

gagandeep_batra
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sam,

what is the frequency of this scenario mean is there any time fix  for picking the file and running the job if yes.

then you just need to use the ATP(Availability time Planing) option and the just after ATP need to schedule you job.

Regads

Gagan

smavachee
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

File adapter doesn't support synchronize calls, you have to find alternative way to handle it.

Work out your business requirement in detail and see whether it can be technically executed with available resources on existing system, 75% of development would be done there itself. Once you are thru, rest of work will not be difficult, i guess..

Any way, your requirement seems to be job get executed one by one, at this stage, synchronization is not required in that case.

Regards,

Sunil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Satish,

The requirement is as follows :

I need to send some files from a file system to R/3.Once these files will be sent to R/3 a job need to be triggered to change the format of the files and once,it is done ,another job need to run on R/3 to intergarte these files to a transaction code on R/3.

Thank you so much for your help in advance!

Regards,

Sambaran

smavachee
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Probably Sender File Adapter -> Inbound ABAP Proxy into ECC can achieve this requirement.

Enough documents are available for this approach, try to implement.

Refer this blog by Dzmitry Novik..

Step-by-step FTP to ABAP Proxy

Are you trying to achieve something like this.?

Hope this helps.!

Regards,

Sunil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sambaran,

Can you elaborate more, not clear with your requirement.  What is your exact scenario.  What is ur sender system and receiver systems.

Thanks,

Satish.