cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Source of supply determination criteria in SNP heuristics?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have a scenario where product is valid on 2 transprtation lanes.

There is a overlap of validity based on lead times from different sources.

e.g. Source DC1, DC2 Destination is : PORT

Lane DC1-->PORT is valid from 01/01/2013 to 26/10/2013

Lane DC2-->PORT is valid from 24/09/2013 to 31/12/9999

If we go into interactivbe planning book and try to create manual order then I get a pop up screen to select source from available 2 options, if the requirement date is falling under any overlap period.

e.g. If I enter  a order for Oct 5th, then I get both options and need to select one of those.

My question here is how the source determination happens when we run background heuristics planning?

Is there any criteria which we can define for source determination?

Thanks

in advance for your help!

Thanks

Yogesh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

rajkj
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Yogesh,

SNP heuristics uses the following criteria in determination of source of supply. Please note that the available sources of supply must be valid during the period of consideration.

• Quota arrangements (quotas take precedence when they are set)
  • Procurement priorities (If quotas are equal or not set, then priority set on t.lane or PPM/PDS will be given importance)
  • Procurement costs (if quotas and priorities are being equal or not set, then the cheaper source of supply that can fulfill the job will be selected)
  • Procurement type (for mixed procurements, in-house production will be favored when all other criteria are being equal or not set).

Please check the following link for details.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_ewm70/helpdata/en/da/8df3128121304a8dc1eef961a6d3a8/frameset.htm

Thanks,
Rajesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajesh,

Thanks for your quick reply!

I understand and agree with above mentioned criteria.

In our case we do not have quotas or priorities or cost factors, there are 2 lanes valid for 5 weeks of overlap period. In this scenario, during heuristics run which source gets selected.

In interactive planning, I can see 2 options when I try to create SNP Purchase req.

But in background planning which source gets priority?

Appreciate your help!

regards

Yogesh

rajkj
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Yogesh,

Considering all the factors same, any transportation solve/algorithm picks the route/t.lane with shortest distance or duration. If the distance/duration also equal, then the choice is random.

Assumption: There is no special form or relationship type (i.e. scheduling agreement or contract or consignment) of external procurement is involved.

Thanks,
Rajesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Rajesh,

I created 2 different scenarios but in 1 case its taking shortest distance source and other case longest distance source.I thought if its going by alphabetical order but that is also not the case.

That's why I got confused but seems that it's a random selection.

Just in similar note, for in house production suppose if there are 2 PDS valid with overlap validity then is it again a random selection?

Thanks

Yogesh

rajkj
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Yogesh,

Thanks for the info.

Since PDS is also a source of supply, the ranking and determination will be same as above.

Thanks,

Rajesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajesh,

I just came across another issue related to tramsportation lanes. My understanding is the validity dates (maintained in each product om lane) are for receipts at destination location.

e.g. If Product is valid from 01/01/2013 till 30/06/2013 on source DC1and

Valid from 01/07/2013 till 31/12/9999 on source DC2

(destination is same), bith lead times are 3 weeks

Then system should create receipt from DC1 till 30/06/2013 and then from 01/07/2013 onwards, it should create receipt from DC2.

What is happening in my scenario is there are receipts from DC1 till 30/06 2013 but DC2 receipts are coming after 3 weeks gap.

Means there are no receipts for July 1st and 2 week. If I try to create a mnaul receipt then system shows the message 'Not possible to create order, start date is not in SOS validity'

Se seems that its looking start date as DC2.

Please suggest!

Thanks

Yogesh

rajkj
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Yogesh,

The product specific t.lane validity date range is applicable to product and t.lane combination i.e. for a given product, the selected t.lane can be used during the specified date range. The external procurement order's start and end dates must fall within this date range. Otherwise, system does not recognize this t.lane as a valid source of supply for the order.

Thanks,
Rajesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Rajesh,

Actually we don't have product specific T lanes scenario.

Let me give here simple example.

Suppose the validity is from 01/01/2013 to 31/12/9999  and lead time is 4 weeks.

If there is a demand in 2nd week of jan (10/01/2013), when will SNP heuristis propose a PR?

End date as 10/01/2013 and going back 4 weeks , aorund 12/12/2012 (which is before validity start date) OR the propose pR will be from 01/01/2013 with end date 28/01/2013.

my main question is what is the standard behaviour in SNP heuristics?

Does it create SNP stock transfer before validity start date of SOurce of Supply?

Thanks for your help!

regards

Yogesh

rajkj
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Yogesh,

Consider the following example.

T.lane valid from 4/1/2013 - 12/31/9999

SNP heuristics execution:

The planning engine creates a proposal with starting date from April 1, 2013.

As you see in the above screenshot, the demands before 4/1/13 are grouped together and the sum considered for the replenishment along with usual target stock level.

I hope this live example will clarify your queries.

Thanks,

Rajesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Rajesh,

That is what I was expecting! But i am seeing a scenario in our system where SNP heuristics is creating a purchase requisition (start date considering lead time )before validity start date.

Coult it be a bug or something else?

Thanks

Yogesh

rajkj
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Yogesh,

You can update the start date of an external procurement order manually and still use the same t.lane that is not valid on the start date of the order. Probably, you can delete the PReq that you mentioned in your post and replan the stock transfers using heuristics. This time, the heuristics will consider the t.lane validity periods.

It also be helpful to have system release and service package data

Thanks,

Rajesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajesh,

Thanks for the help!

I just have 1 last question in this regard:

I am seeing different behaviour in our QA and Production systems.

e.g. If T Lane is valid from 01/01/2013

Demand is on 15/01/2013 and lead time is 30 days then :

In QA, system doesn't allow to create receipt before start date of Source of Supply (T lane validity for product), means receipt was created with start date as 01/01/2013 and end date as 30/01/2013

So from Jan 15th to Jan 30th , I was in shortage.

In Production system, system created a receipt with start date as 15/12/2012 (wend beyond validity in past) and end date as 15/01/2013, so exactly match demand withut any shortage.

My question is, which is the standard SAP behaviour? There could be some notes mising or extra  in either system so want to know which one is standard?

Thanks again!

Thanks

Yogesh

rajkj
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Yogesh,

There might be some change in your QA and Production boxes. Pl compare the system release levels and implemented SAP notes of these two systems.

The following SAP notes might be useful:

Note 1450680 - SNP Heuristic: Wrong validity start for sources of supply

Note 1462773 - SNP Heuristic: Wrong scheduling for stock transfer orders

Note 1685896 - Start Date in the Past in SNP-Heuristic Planning

Note 1638031 - Start date of SNP stock transfers is not in SOS validity

Note 1292483 - Start Date in the Past

Thanks,
Rajesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Rajesh

regards