cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving SAP BW to HANA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

We are trying to create the reports on HANA. The same reports are already available on BW.

So scenario is like we have Copa data source --> Standard DSO -->Standard Cube.We have end routine written between Tranformation between DSO and Cube which fills few fields . Also we have read masterdata for few fields in Trfn between DSO and Cube.

Now we want the whole flow to be in HANA in terms views/tables etc and on top of that we will be creating the report in BO on hana.

Can anyone tell me how we should proceed in this. We also have Z* Custmer required datasource.

Any inputs highly beneficial.

Thanks,

Deepak

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

If you have a BW on HANA environment, you should be able to get a lot of the underlying benefits already for the data flow you have mentioned & then connect BO via BICS. If that option doesn't suffice your requirements, starting SP08 and HANA Rev 37 you can import BW cubes & DSOs as calculation/analytic views within HANA (via the HANA studio) and connect your BO reports directly on it.

Alternately if you have to migrate the entire flow to stand-alone HANA for other reasons, I can think of the following options:

a. With DXC, you could extract data from your custom datasource in ECC and then incorporate your transformation logic within analytic views and calculation views. More complex transformations can be embedded into a script based calc view.

b. If you have BO DS, you could extract from a BW extractor (you need to check SAP Notes to see how you can enable custom datasources to work with BODS) and then embed all your transformation logic within data services before pushing the data into a HANA table.

c. You could use a combo of (a) & (b) - extract using DXC into HANA tables and then use BODS to run your transformations. BODS can take data from HANA tables, tansform them and write them into another set of target tables within HANA on which you can create your views.

Needless to say, the options above must be assessed based on factors such as licensing, performance, maintenance, TCO etc.

Hope that helps!

Thanks,

Anooj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Anuj, it was highly beneficial.

For the POC we have to create the Reports which are already there in BW . We have to create the same report on BO having HANA as backend. The data of report run in production should be exactly the same with report run in BO having hana as beckend.

Now i have few questions.

1. We have two data source in flow one is COPA and other is custom extractor So DXC will be used for Copa and BODS for Custom extractor ??

2. SP08 and HANA Rev 37 we can include Cubes/DSO as views in HANA, the logic written in tranformation will also be implemented.

Thanks,

Deepak

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak.,

To answer your specific questions:

1. DXC can work with any extractors - SAP Delivered or Custom. BODS currently works with a majority of SAP delivered extractors (exceptions are mentioned in a SAP Note). BODS can technically work with custom extractors as well (there is a SAP Note that tells you how to enable them) but I don't think SAP provides their service support for such use cases.

2. You can publish cubes, DSOs and Query snapshots as views within HANA. If you are publishing the cube, then you don't need the underlying transformations within  HANA as the data within the cube will already be transformed.

Thanks,

Anooj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Anuj,

I will start working on this and will let you know for the time being i am keeping this post open .

Thanks for your valuable suggestion

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

rama_shankar3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Deepak,

If you are running your BW instance on 73 - SP8, then you do not need to replicate data again  into HANA.

Refer to the below document link for all integratioin options to mix and match BW and HANA data models.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/1azt87

Regards,

Rama

Gabor_Kovacs
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

Why don't you consider migrating to BW on HANA instead? You would benefit from SAP HANA w/o re-implementing your data flows and reports, keeping all the services BW as a sophisticated EDW solution provides.

Regards,

Gabor

SAP Customer Solution Adoption (CSA)