cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HANA and BODS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Just I started learning HANA and as new to this area having some doubts. I need your help to understand the technology in better way.

While I gone through sap documents on HANA, what I understood is BODS is acting as interface between Datasource (Excel/ECC/ BI/Non-SAP) and HANA to load data. Here I would like know, is it the only way to load data into HANA through BODS if so what level of knowledge needed on BODS?

I am into BOBJ area (CR, WebI, Universe) so how HANA helps to me to become strong in data analytic area.

Appreciate your inputs and help.

Thanks,

IanB

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

rama_shankar3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ian,

SAP  HANA in simple words is a backend BI schema or DB or multi-dimensional modelling plaftorm similar to SAP BW or Microsoft MSAS. Since you are from a front-end backgroun, you can leverage the direct connectivity options provided for HANA in such a way that you can create high performance reports and analytics application using BO tool.

If you are interested in learing the backend SAP HANA modelling (designing and building attribute views, analytical views and calculation views), you will have to go through formal training or try building it yourself using few samples provided by SAP.

Hope this adds to the above points provided by other peers.

Good luck learning HANA and feel free to ask more questions in specific areas. You are in the right place to learn HANA!

Rama

former_member184768
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ian,

First of all, Welcome to the world of HANA. 🙂

For sure, BODS is not the ONLY Data Integration platform for HANA. There are multiple tools and technologies available for the data integration to HANA. Some of these are

• Direct Extractor Connection(DXC)
  • SAP LT Replication (SLT)
  • Flat File upload

If you are using BW on HANA, then all the standard data integration tools like SAP extractors, Flat file, DB connect and all will work.

You can refer to some of the documents in zip file at http://www.saphana.com/docs/DOC-2171

It contains wealth of Information and will help you build your skills in HANA.

Regards,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Ravi for quick info.

Could you please let me know the difference between these integration tools. In which case I need to use specific integrator?

• Direct Extractor Connection(DXC)
  • SAP LT Replication (SLT)
  • Flat File upload
  • BOBJ

Appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Ian

former_member184768
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ian,

As mentioned earlier, please refer to the zip file I mentioned in the earlier reply. It will help you clear all your doubts.

• Direct Extractor Connection(DXC) -- to use standard extractors without using BW
  • SAP LT Replication (SLT) -- Real time replication
  • Flat File upload -- Non conventional data loads (user supplied data or not stored in any source system)
  • BOBJ -- for many use cases related to source systems using SAP, Non SAP, Flat file loads etc.

The zip file contains detailed explanation of each of the above.

Regards,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ravi..unfortunately I am getting error as 'unknow format file' to extract zip file. Please let me know if there is alternative link..

former_member184768
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ian,

It happened to me also a couple of times. Please try again. As you might have checked the comments on the document, the zip file contains very valuable information.

Regards,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

Im trying to open the link the one you mentioned above for referring docs for HANA, but whenever i click pn that link or copy paste in browswer its not showing any docs instead its redirecting to the link hana.sap.com/abouthana.html.

Please help me in this regard.

Thanks,

Pradeep

former_member213376
Participant
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.