Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's up with the Spam?

kakshat
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Since a couple of days there has been a lot of spam on this space (and perhaps on others too) - links to Oscars/TV shows/cricket matches etc. I am sure several other users as well as the moderators must have noticed it but just in case. Is the SCN under attack?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

ya.. yes...  for the past few days.. many spam postings are there..

Moderators has to do something about this shortly..

thanks,

Mathan R.

JasonLax
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

We are aware of this situation and the moderators and global moderators are currently cleaning up everything.  We hope to contain it soon.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Today's spam flood just started again. Isn't there anything you can do about it except post cleanup? Can you share some details, is a bug being exploited, are user accounts compromised, etc.

Has someone started exploiting the blogs open for anyone to edit? In that case the problem is more sevear than just flood, SCN is loosing real blogs as we speak. Unless you are recovering them.

Can you centrally change the setting for all blogs or at least default the settings for new blogs so that only the creator has edit permissions?

JasonLax
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

I assure you we are looking at every option and working on this right now, around the clock.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Now that moderation is in place there is almost as much of spam in the form of duplicate posts since some users do not seem to understand the meaning of moderation. The duplicates are in no where as bad as the spams but still it makes the experience quite unpleasant.

That said, I don't want to sound like your efforts are unappreciated, they are appreciated. Thanks.

Just wondering is the Jive platform lacking some basic spam/flood/abuse functionality that is an absolute must these days or have those functionalities been switched off in favor of a more user friendly approach?

JasonLax
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Please report the duplicate threads as abuses so that moderators will remove them.  I hope more users read the system message before making the wrong assumption.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just started doing so. Can we have a duplicate / cross-posting abuse category? I'll just use the general category + description for now...

Former Member
0 Kudos

why am i unable to post a discussion in ABAP development space?

JasonLax
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Your replies and new posts just new to be reviewed by a moderator before being posted. This may take a few moments but this is a temporary measure. Thanks for your understanding.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thankyou for reply..had it posted.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello,

i have a query here, which i am facing for the past few days..

every time i post , a message is coming like..

"Please note, your reply ll be needed to approve by the moderater before it is posted in forum"..

and then after i posted , it showing like,

"Currently being moderated"..

why its coming like this, can i know the reason please..

thanks,

Mathan R.

JasonLax
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

"Currently being moderated" means your new content must be reviewed by a moderator before being released to the space.  We're just taking precautions and your content will be released promptly.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello jason,

How long this ll exist, cause solidly its taking 2 to 3 minutes to release to space..

Within that time all other post by other consultants with same solutions are being posted.. Mine become repeated at that instant.. This isnt a big issue here , but just i am giving you what im facing because of this..

thanks,

Mathan R.

JasonLax
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi - I appreciate your concern but please read the thread above and understand that we had no choice but to introduce this temporary measure and we are working around the clock to ensure a smooth operation. 

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your consideration and response..

kakshat
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi ,

I can still see duplicate posts which are most probably due to the temporary moderation in place. I know you've put a system message that informs the user about this when they post something but apparently not many people are paying heed to it (for legitimate or illegitimate reasons). I was wondering if it's possible to add a check that prevents the same user from opening a new thread when another one opened by him with the same subject already exists.

You may have already thought about it and decided against it for valid reasons but just wanted to put it across.

JasonLax
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Thanks for your suggestion.  I'd rather that the resources be used to repair the incorrect message from appearing than adding a new functionality that prevents duplicates.  Our moderators are doing their best to stops duplicates from getting through.

Sorry for any inconvenience: I, for one, would rather see duplicate posts than spam.

kakshat
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Well, I see someone posting a meaningful question again and again as spam too. Anyway, you are a better judge.

JasonLax
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Understood. 

Please use the Report abuse action to notify the moderators of duplicate posts, spam and other content that's not in line with the SCN rules of engagement.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I guess someone forgot to switch moderation back on in ABAP Development as SPAM is pooring down again...

JasonLax
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi - We are aware of this situation and the moderators and global moderators are currently cleaning up everything.  We hope to contain it soon.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

kakshat
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Cool. Thanks for letting know.