cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need of Database instance on SAP ME application server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As per 'System landscape' document for SAP ME, in various topologies(architectures) mentioned, I have a common doubt.

The diagrams show 'database instance' to be installed on application server along with NEtweaver.

This means that if we are going for MS SQL server 2008 database we will need to install it thrice ,1 as- WIP DB, 2 as ODS DB and 3 as database instance on application server where netweaver and ME application has been installed.

As per client server architecture of SAP, my understanding is we need it ('databse instance' on app.server) to process GUI (commands from SAP ME screen) data and to streamline it; later on it is passed to WIP/ODS database. Hence,reducing the direct load on database.

Please shed some more light on this information and correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

sergiy_katerinich
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

First of all, we should clarify which version of SAP ME we are talking about as soon as standard topology for 5.2/6.0 differs from the one for 6.1.

Standard toplogy is the one highly recommended.

If we consider the only server shared by application server solution and database server solution, then

it is preferable that each database (NW, WIP, ODS) has its own database instanse - so yes, 3 instances of MSSQL server on the same physical server. Though WIP and ODS can coexist within the same database instance but this could cause performance issues if the server is not superpowerful.

Regards,

Sergiy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sergiy,

I am using SAP ME 6.0.

Our topology for setting up development environment is:

1- one machine as application server with SAP Netweaver + Databse instance (SQl server2008) installed

2- one machine as database server with WIP and ODS databses  installed on two separate instances.

My query was to understand: once we have MS SQL server 2008 on databse server then why do we need to install it again on application server as 'databse instance'? As highlighted in figure below:

sergiy_katerinich
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

To clarify the requirements of the topology above:

1) for ME 6.0, it is required that ME and MII are installed on separate NW instances - thus you must have 2 separate MSSQL instances: one for NW with ME and another for NW with MII.

2) ME 6.0 does not support topology when WIP/ODS databases are located within MSSQL instance used by NW - thus you must have a dedicated MSSQL instance for WIP/ODS.

Regards,

Sergiy