cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtualization on the HANA Appliance

0 Kudos

Does anyone have experience or information on setting up a virtual environment on the HANA appliance? With the announcement of the Business Suite on HANA, I would like to set up multiple instances to perform some testing. Currently we are limited to one instance of the HANA database. Information on this topic seems sparse at this time, but I have read that VMware vSphere is supported for HANA. Is this the only route or are there other options?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

henrique_pinto
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Additionally, notice that virtualizing HANA is not the only alternative for MCOS (multiple componentes one system) for non-productive scenarios.

SAP Note 1681092 details the possibilities to have multiple database instances (multiple SIDs) in a single appliance.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jerad, VMWare is the only hypervisor supported by SAP today for virtualizing HANA.

Additionally, you must use a virtualized single-node appliance from one of the certified HANA hardware vendors i.e. you cannot use a generic/commodity VMware host.

You can run all available HANA applications/use-cases on the virtualized appliance, as long as they are non-production workloads.

You can run multiple VM's, in multiples of 5cores and 64GB RAM, up to 16VM's or the limit of the certified virtualized appliance.

If you have access to SAP notes, see SAP Note 1788665 - SAP HANA running on VMware vSphere VMs, and it's associated FAQ pdf.

I hope this helps! Regards! Keith.