cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JSPM and Safe mode

Former Member
0 Kudos

I recently applied NW 7.02 SP12 and found that once all components were deployed my JSPM screen was frozen at "A Dispatcher is running".  I noticed at the unix level it had swithed to safe mode and this process actually took longer than the 90 minutes to deploy the components.

Is there any documentation on how long this is supposed to take?  Or, for that matter some sort of heartbeat I can monitor.  I found several logs but they didn't give me a comforatable feeling that JSPM was ok.

regards,

Dan Mead

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Daniel

Open the configtool and in file tab u find an option Safemode please click on that and check whether it is in On state for the server nodes.if it is on for any server node please change to OFF ,restart your server.

Thanks

Mahipal

hemanth2
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Daniel,

Hope you are doing good.

There is no particular log apart from the JSPM log. The j2ee server goes to safe mode to reduce the number of running applications and to facilitate the deployment (mainly offline ones).

The time depends on the usage types being used, but core ones should not take more than 2-3 hours.

Do monitor the logs continuously:

/usr/sap/<SID>/JC<nr>/work/dev*, std*, jvm*, deploy* files

/usr/sap/<SID>/JC<nr>/j2ee/cluster/server0/logs/default trace (latest).

/usr/sap/<SID>/<Central instance name>/j2ee/JSPM/log directory

and

/usr/sap/<SID>/JC<nr>/SDM/program/log

Thank you and have a nice day :).

Kind Regards,

Hemanth

former_member185239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Daniel ,

When you deploy through JSPM , it will perform the activity in SAFE Mode.

Suppose you have 3 server node , then in safe mode it will utilize only one server node other server node will not work. Thus it minimize the resource utilisation.

Parameter for safe mode :

In instance.properties file, you need to change the parameter instance.runMode=normal to run the server in normal mode.

With Regards

Ashutosh Chaturvedi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ashutosh,

Does this mean if we change the parameter then JSPM will finisher faster?  Not sure if we want to change something SAP has put in place.  We do in fact 3 nodes now at the time I deployed SP 12 it only had two server nodes.

Regards,

Dan Mead

hemanth2
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Daniel,

Changing the mode will lead to issues; please do not do this.

The only way for you to check is via the last memo I mentioned.

If you feel that the deployment is hanging, trigger some thread dumps to know what exactly is happenning.

Thank you and have a nice day :).

Kind Regards,

Hemanth

former_member185239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Daniel,

Don't change the parameter

, just monitor the server node , whether they are getting restarted after the deployment.If you change the parameter , then some inconsistency will appear between the .SCA files because you have to restart the SAP System which may put you in trouble.

Monitor the server node and checked whether server nodes are  getting restarted properly.Morever it will take long time in safe mode.

you can also check the cpu utilization and memory utilisation as well.

stop the ccms agent on the corresponding system if any running

With Regards

Ashutosh Chaturvedi