cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HANA Studio - Threads - ? instead variable value (-es)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HANA Studio - In threads i see ? instead variable value (-s).

Where i can see values? Is it possible?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

These are variables for prepared statements.

The actual values for those cannot be obtained from the server.

To get the values, you've got to either activate tracing on server or client side (NetWeaver -> ST05).

- Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Activate tracing to get session varaibles? We can't obtain it from server?

In Oracle DB (we was doing 3 steps -

1. Start tr. DB02

2. Perfomance-> Session Monitor (choose session)

3. Press Bind Variables

Total: 10 secs max.

In HANA we must activate/deactivate tracing.  Perfect, logical and user friendly approach.

Maybe HANA develepers doing something similar like was before (like in ora db by example) ?

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Mikhail,

WOW - now that's big news!

Nobody denies that after 30+ years in business, the monitoring features of Oracle have far more bells and whistles than every other DBMS on this planet.

This very feature you seem to like so much on Oracle is not present either on other DBMS SAP supports. And guess what: those customers survive as well.

In MaxDB we needed to activate the session monitor, to get the bind variable values - meanwhile it's active by default.

Be sure, that similar things will follow with HANA.

On the other hand, as long as there are still folks around that don't even know what the ?'s, the :Ax's or $1's are for and how to use them in their DB code (and there are lots of them), we still have bigger fish to fry.

- Lars

P.S.

On Oracle we have this feature since Oracle 10g - and before that, all those years, people somehow managed to run their shops without it... I know - unbelievable! Maybe they did turn on traces to ge the data back then?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Lars - perfect arguments.You position is clear.

Why peoples want to ride on cars, if so many centures they used horses.)))