cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LONG-LOB Migration - has anyone done it

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I am contemplating doing the LONG-LOB migration of our databases. Over the years it has become harder for me to do offline database reorganisations due to business requirements.

The solution would be to migrate to LOB and then I can do the reorgs online.

Note 835552 mentions a 30% impact on SQL (select,insert,delete) on converted tables.

Has anyone gone through the migration and has there been a noticeable impact on the overall performance of your database?

Thanks in advance.

Doug

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Doug,

every new 7.00 SAP system is installed with LOBs. Several SAP customers "accidentally" switched from LONG RAW to LOB during a unicode conversion. I have done a LONG2LOB migration of a 2 TB database myself. But there was never a significant performance problem afterwards (apart from configuration errors like NOCACHE LOBs). So the statement in the note is absolutely misleading. I already discussed it with Oracle and they intend to make the note clearer in the future, but at the moment it is unfortunately still responsible for unnecessary worries of the SAP customers.

Regards

Martin

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I considered the same migration but decided it was not worth it.

The interesting thing about this migration is that you can do online reorgs when it is converted to LOB.

Is this worth a 30% decrease in performance for SQL touching these tables?

I guess not!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are facing problems after doing a online reorg in 10g where tables in oracle have changed their types to LONG-LOB and now many of the kernal functions are throwing

> ORA-00932: inconsistent datatypes: expected NUMBER got BLOB

Has anyone faced this issue. We have reorged many of the system table spaces like:

PSAPSTABD

PSAPSOURCED

etc.

I have a message open but awaiting response.

Thanks